The Big Bang Theory - Is It Science Or Just A Sitcom?

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We're all spinning around within our own solar system, how could you know if you're moving away or nearer without a reference point. ? I only know a few things about space, there is no air, no sound, and too cold for me.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sounds like the atmosphere around my X.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  3. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Now that reminds me of something that few people know. Benjamin Franklin made a huge error when he wrote his electrical theory papers. He was a Printer by profession and printed books, very expensive to do in his day. His mistake he made was making the claim current travels from negative to positive. He was wrong, however the cost to reprint all the publications at his particular time of life was not feasible. So they were never corrected but only because it makes no difference in electrical calculations, all remains the same and the path of positive to negative is the correct path not negative to positive. They still write the incorrect path even today in all things electrical.

4. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is said that Some of the elements on the table of elements were created during the big bang. Others created in the core of stars , and some created when pairs of neutron stars collide.
    Not being a physicist, I have no way of knowing how this is determined. Though I do find it interesting that all elements start out as hydrogen.

As to whether planets/asteroids/moons/galaxies are in fact moving away from each other, that must be incredibly difficult to determine. It is ESTIMATED that there are 1.25 BILLION galaxies in the observable universe. And that is only what we can see with our current technology. As time goes on, we will likely be able to "see " more.

One more thing I find interesting is that the light from some of those galaxies has taken millions of light years to reach us. What may have happened to those galaxies since then ????

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    Nancy Hart and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love that show.

Bobby Cole and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I hadn't looked at a periodic table since high school. I saw one recently and thought Where did all those elements come from?

7. Richard Whiting

Registered

Yep, that's where all of the elements came from... inside stars. Different temperatures and pressures create different elements.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think the Big Bang Theory has been disproven by the newest space telescope. Astrophysicists are at a loss and haven't come up with a new theory, at least as far as I know.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They're hoping no one will ask.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Cuz the answer might be God.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The whole thing reminds me of the joke whereby a scientist tells God that he can create a man from dirt to which God answers, “okay, but first you must create your own dirt from nothing”.

After all the theories, all the math, all the hoopla that surrounds the question of how it all began, the logical answer is the most mind blowing.
    We humans are forced to think in terms of our own existence and surroundings because our substance oriented brains cannot possibly be compelled to fathom a time when nothing existed; when even space itself didn’t exist.

Physicists try to create a.numerical picture in which there is no zero but instead, we have neutrinos and atoms banging into one another and joining together making one dimensional strings etc etc in order to explain how it all began but the question is, where did the dirt or rather, the atoms and neutrinos come from?
    Where is the zero?
    How can there be a big bang until there is something that will go bang?
    0 is always 0 until something or someone adds something of substance to it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  12. Richard Whiting

Registered

Far, far over my head. I can't even begin to imagine a time when there was nothing.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

No one can.