The Benefits Of Being Older

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Joy Martin, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm on a couple other forums and most are much younger so I just posted my OLDer Wisdom.

Since I reached the hefty age of 85 I've been doing a lot of reflecting of my life and thinking about the Benefits of being OLDer.

With Age comes Wisdom..by this time I have acquired a Lot.

I was NOT born with a digital anything in my hands. And have kept what I do use and want, to a minimum.

I've worked hard and over about 40 yrs had 10 good professions....My generation had jobs to go to the next day if a job was finished in one's life.... I enjoyed this in my life ,,, and I don't believe that is the case today.....high paid starbucks workers and low paid door dash drivers are the prime spots....

Up until March 2020, my Life was good and no struggles and NOW, the Governments of the world are doing their best to Destroy the good Life.....

There is so much more but for this will do.

And I'm not saying we didn't have struggles and challenges but NEVER in 72 Yrs the Inflation we are experiencing....Yep 72 yrs...

Now believe the two wise presidents were Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump, both Non-Politicians.,

John Nopales and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Reagan and Trump were the two that interrupted the Progressive slide away from the Constitution. As soon as Biden was elected, he was planning another war. He pulled out of Afghanistan abruptly as it was stale and not producing revenue for his donors any more. Reagan "wars" were hard strikes and out, no lingering proxy stuff filling the coffers of the military-industrial complex. Trump had no new wars, but he was saddled with old ones and worked to slowly exit them without destroying American prestige.

The Progressive thing has been going on for a long time and has accelerated in recent years as the populace becomes dumber and more politically naïve. All based on the plans of Dewey to manipulate the nation through the education system. The Governor of Michigan has declared war on homeschooling in that state. She believes that homeschooled children is the single biggest problem Michigan has. If the people support her, that shows where their heads are.

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Inflation was 13.5% in 1980, and above 10% in the year before and after. Mortgage rates were 16% in 1982. I was young and carefree and not interested in things like that then. Last year inflation was 8%.

To me an advantage of old age is that it's easier to plan. There are too many future possibilities of things that can happen when you are young. The older you get, the fewer. I have Plan A, B, and C all ready (well mostly). lol

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Joy Martin

Registered

I suppose I'm feeling so much has gone sky high since covid hit, I felt OK about things before t hen... Am I the only only one w ho feels this?

Well, why do we have so much talk about the hungry population? Today, for ,me. that $29 or so bag of groceries is now $60 or so.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

It's easier to have a wild time.....all you have to do is stay up past 9 p.m.

“Eventually you reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.” – Will Rogers

“The best thing about being in your 90s is you’re spoiled rotten. Everybody spoils you like mad and they treat you with such respect because you’re old. Little do they know, you haven’t changed. You haven’t changed in [the brain]. You’re just 90 every place else.” – Betty White

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, you are not the only one. I know my grocery bill has nearly doubled in the past year or so, and one of my prescriptions has increased from $8 for 90 days to $34 for 90 days. Everything costs more now. I read that a single meal at McDonalds is nearly $20. Oh, and our car insurance increased a couple of hundred dollars. How are people managing?

7. Joy Martin

Registered

Beth: So it's not just wild and whooly CA that is out of sight.....

I was thinking, now that I have groceries delivered, the minimum order is $30 amd then handling fees and delivery fee and taxes and I buy more of some of the items I use since I don't cook and need to rely on cooked stuff...

But all in all, big increases have taken place in so much.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a friend who lives in Folsom (not the prison :D). She says the prices are shocking.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Joy Martin

Registered

I don't think I've ever been to Folsom and it's a population about the size of my town Santa Monica and it's a piece of the Newsom tax tax spend spend way to get you.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

They simply construct the CPI calculation to show what they want. Everybody knows that food prices have almost doubled in some places and increased in all parts of America. I think they counter the cost of food with the electronic gadgets that have gotten cheaper. They also changed the calculation in 1980 or 81 to show what they want. they also changed it in 1990. As you can see below, if we used the calculation prior to 1980, we had 17% inflation.

[​IMG]

11. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Where do you get the idea RR wasn't a politician when he was governor of your state for two terms? He was on the Board of Regents of your state's university system. He was president of the Screen Actors Guild for 5 years. He was a politician, playing an actor sometimes.

Short memory old lady.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Once my wife's "at home" job ends, we sure won't be spending like we are currently. Amazon will be saying, "what happened to them?".

As for us, me/74 and wife turning 76 soon, I do all of the electronic hookup stuff that needs to be done. Guess I'm more "techy" than I really thought I was. My wife will still drive, but she doesn't like it nearly as much as she use to. There is much more traffic where we live now and the lifestyle is much faster. In the 4 months we've been here, she has not yet drove on any freeway. It can get a little scary!

Funny, my SIL (wife's older sister who just turned 80) has many things done for her by her young grand daughter and her mom/step-dad. That's why she will never move out of the area.

13. Joy Martin

Registered

He was NOT a lifelong politician....not his career, I see it that way.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  14. Joy Martin

Registered

What I saw today as I placed a small food order for tomorrow delivery, an item I buy, 30 gallon recycle bags, they are reducing the amount in pkg and increasing price $2 or so.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am having trouble seeing how this is a benefit of growing older, which is what you titled this thread , @Joy Martin ?

Don Alaska likes this.