Texting Abbreviations On Discussion Forums

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Faye Fox, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Just to clarify, I am giving my opinion and personal preferences. There is no rule here against abbreviations.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

TY

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Are you trying to pick a fight?

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was just thinking about the abbreviated "words" we used mostly after the Vietnam War, like "snafu", "jafo," etc. I think most of them are military expressions.

Krystal Shay and Faye Fox like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Nope.

Bad joke.

Bruce Andrew and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ha, me too. :)

Faye Fox likes this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Let me clarify! I have nothing against abbreviations or codes as long as they are ones most readers will know that have an interest in the subject. An example would be a discussion on rodeo. If one is interested in rodeo in general then they will know what PRCA or PBA, etc., means. There is no reason to type it out. If one is not interested, then they won't care or they might look it up out of morbid curiosity.

Any old-time amateur radio operator will know several codes that were necessary for the days of morse code communications "CW" stands for continuous wave. Since it is a slow way of communicating, then words and phrases were shortened. Instead of saying, the static level is high here and your signal is weak and I copied only a few words, they would send, "RST 255 (599 being the best) QRN 9." RST for readability, strength, and tone. Three letters and three numbers could replace a couple of sentences and give an accurate assessment of how your signal was coming in at their location or "QTH." Ham radio is full of abbreviations that were once vital in emergency communications.

Abbreviations used in morse code were the catalyst for making texting more efficient. Emergency services use codes for efficiency. My thought is that on a senior discussion forum, how many know all the texting abbreviations? While I pride myself on once knowing hundreds of abbreviations and codes as a high-speed morse code "CW" operator, some of these new abbreviations have me inquiring and being schooled by a kid that hasn't yet decided what sex they are and has joined the group that identifies with initials about one inch long if size 14 standard font.

Abbreviations can lead to misunderstanding and confusion. For instance, Ken thought FB as used by Bruce meant Facebook when in fact he was saying, Faye Babe. He was merely trying to circumvent the 'not a dating site rule.' John weighs in with "fat butt" which shows he hasn't been paying attention and knows nothing about my unhealthy skeleton skinny posterior "USSP" not to be confused with USPS.

Faye: Hey old man, care to join me on my patio for a cold one?

Zek: Thanks but I am bushed after mentoring those new young recruits on hose handling. I am beginning to regret coming out of retirement and volunteering. It was a long long week! TGIF!!!!!

Faye: Well, SHIT!

Zek: What the hell is itching your butt old woman that you have to be so vulgar?

Faye: Nothing, I just said shit, Sorry Honey It's Thursday.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I've learned different abbreviations, but there are those that will abbreviate the "F" word into something. Haven't seen it on this forum, but have seen it other places online. Or, like the abbreviation SOB, that I don't like either, but I don't run the forum.

I will sometimes write SIL and then, in parentheses () put "wife's sister".

Faye is absolutely right about PRCA, WPRA, PBR, IRA, IPRA, WCRA...........all dealing with rodeo. I've said "PRCA" out in public and nobody had a clue, where we live, what I was talking about. When I then say, "Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association", some then know what I'm talking about.

My wife's sister texts us all of the time, but never uses abbreviations for anything. Thank God! I don't either when I text her back. But, the young generation, aka Millennials and on, use abbreviations all of the time.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

WTF? It's Friday. [​IMG]

Having been online for 28 years, I know most of the acronyms. But I only use ones that a reader would likely understand considering the subject at hand. I text a fair amount but don't use them there. Making an all-cap acronym (proper way) is a PITA, it's faster to let the phone figure the words out and use one of the examples.

When texting became popular (15 years ago?) it was mostly kids and seemed real dumb -- why not just call? I used to say that myself. However, quite often, it is handier especially for a short note or question than going through the rigamarole of calling. Like "Call me when you have a chance."

And then I realized how much it is used in business. I bet at least half of the texts floating around out there are business-to-business. It saved a LOT of time, bypassing the usual phone etiquette and juggling.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, that's the abbreviation that young folks, who love saying the "F" word, love to abbreviate, so they can get away with not outright saying the word.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

What is the difference between one that uses an abbreviation for a sexually abusive word or one that is obsessed and makes continual references to the word by prefacing it with the 6th letter of the alphabet? It is an attempt to say the word without saying it or maybe get around forum filters.

Why not just say that sexually abusive language offends you? That would include the A, B, C, D, F, P, S, V, and W words. Sexually abusive separates these from other words considered vulgar like damn, hell, shit, piss, or puke.

My mother wouldn't allow the use of the words heck, darn, dang, golly, gosh, dag gum, dag nab it, son of a biscuit eater, puke, or butt. Puke was vomit and the butt was posterior, backside, or seat.

They are all just words and I am glad while Ken might personally find them not to his liking, he allows us the freedom to be ourselves within reasonable limits.

For most of my life, I have been overly respectful of others' feelings over my own, even in my own home. As my favorite great aunt said, "Faye wouldn't say shit if she had a mouthful." I decided that old age gives me the right to speak more freely. When visiting ones would ask if they could say grace aloud, I always said yes. Now I say sure, just say it to yourself. I can't stand hearing the same old worn-out nonsense about asking God to bless my hands for preparing the food before they even taste it.

I mean if they would modify their prayers ... "God please ban Faye from cooking for eternity. This food before us smells and looks like dog excrement and you can bet the sweet ass that Mary rode to the manger on, it will never touch my lips. AMEN!!!" Now that is an honest prayer and one that would find favor with all sitting around my table.

Mary Robi likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I meant to make that post last evening but was knocked offline. Then I fell asleep. So, just excuse the poo out of me for committing such a crime hahaha!

Mary Robi and Bruce Andrew like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, besides me not liking certain abbreviations, I'm sure Bobby and Yvonne don't either.

Just why is it that some people have/get the feeling that they can say or do anything they want wherever?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to Google all the abbreviations I didn't know (a lot). It got to be too time consuming. Now if nothing comes to mind fairly quickly, I try to ignore them. Sometimes a post still makes sense. If not, I just ignore the whole post and move on.

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think anyone here just says and does exactly as they want and disregards forum rules. The point I am trying to make is why is it better to say as you do Cody, that you hate the F word and any attempt to abbreviate it, but continually make reference to it? How is your reference less offensive? Why even mention it? You probably make more references to it than any other member. I find the references just the same as typing it out when used as frequently as you do.