Tell Us About Your Last Automobile Accident

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I went to shop early like 9:30am and I shopped at two stores same property complex. I was so exhausted and hot it took me longer to unload the things thru the bedroom window. I always put the cat food thru the window and anything that stays in that end of the place. I am getting ready to block out my window and take a good nice cool nap while I can. By 3 pm it is pretty hot in here no matter I have an air conditioner and floor fan. I bought a small cat bed this morning and the 3 cats looked at it but want no part of it. They will change their minds eventually. I was able to get an actual headcount of the kittens from two families. They were all laying around after breakfast snoozing under my window and I count 8 kitties 2 mothers and there were no males this morning. I thought there was only 3 in this inside group but obviously there was 4 and I never seen it before until this morning. Since the Mother knew where it was she probably fed it just like the 3 inside. They all love the freedom outdoors and I keep a big aluminum pan full of clean fresh water out of the sun.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't recall having an auto accident. Not sure if I actually never had one or if my memory is shorting out. I have run over curbs and done stupid stuff but never had what I'd call "a wreck." In the 80s my husband had to hang a fishing weight from the garage ceiling with a string so that when it touched my windshield I'd know to stop the car. This was after drywall repairs twice. :D

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I’ve been lucky enough to have never been involved in ….or had an accident , but I can tell you the way some drive now …No indicators…..stop without notice ( with no brake lights working) ..do u turns with signals ……so I guess it’s only a matter of time

We seen a road rage in the city a few days go ….we heard constant beeping behind us that was in the lane next to us , well the car that was getting beeped came to a screeching halt at a green signal …..got out of his car and started screaming at the car behind him …..I don’t blame him he didn’t appear to be doing anything wrong we could see to warrant the beeping

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Road rage is something I didn't see when I first began driving but, other than the fact that there are more people on the road now, I don't know that driving is more dangerous, at least not in my experience.

When I first began driving on the road, as opposed to rural farm driving, high schoolers, people in their late teens and early twenties, and pretty much anyone who didn't have a good job, were likely to be driving wrecks with bad tires. I didn't fully appreciate the danger then, but I paid $30 apiece for my first three cars (seems like that was the going rate), and my tires were the ones the wrecking yard couldn't sell. It wasn't unusual for me to go through a couple of tires in a day, although not every day, of course. Like now, here in Maine, the speed limits were 75 mph, you could drive up to 85 mph without much worry about getting a ticket, and speeds in excess of 100 mph were not uncommon on country roads where the State Police rarely went, since the Sheriff's Department didn't work traffic much.

I was in one car wreck where two people died after hitting an 18-wheeler at a high rate of speed, but I was in the back seat with my girlfriend, and neither of us was hurt. A Sheriff's Deputy drove me home and my dad didn't even find out about it. Still, I didn't really appreciate the dangers of driving.

I drove aggressively as a teenager and as a young man. Road rage had nothing to do with it, as I wasn't an angry driver. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I drove competitively. Driving was simply more fun when I was taking every opportunity that was presented to me.

I wasn't alone, though. If anything, I think more people drove crazily then than now, with street races, road races, and even bumper car driving. Plus, there were far more wrecks on the road in the 1960s and 1970s than there are now. I used to think it was normal to go through a quart of oil a week, and to have to add steering and brake fluid regularly.

I don't drive those kinds of cars anymore, and I don't drive crazy, although I do usually go a few miles per hour above the posted speed limit. I quit driving like a nut when a CHP trooper told me that I was only a few points away from losing my license. In the past fifty years, I have only gotten a few tickets.

Most people drive cars that are in pretty good shape today, and most of them have cruise control, which greatly reduces the speed confusion on the freeway. While I hate driving in congested traffic, except for the long stops sometimes, they are way more controlled than congested traffic was like fifty years ago.

Mary Stetler likes this.