Tell Me About Facebook

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ed Wilson, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was considering about joining to learn about some smaller businesses who don't have their own website, but do have a presence on Facebook, to occasionally make a comment to some person or entity, and I would like to do all this anonymously. Will I need a pic and can I get away with fake info?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been with Facebook for a number of years and they don't do anything by "anonymously". As for "giving fake info, I sure wouldn't try it!

3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

There's all kinds of fake stuff on Facebook. The only thing you really need is an email address. That's part of registration protocol.

Lois Winters likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Some of my wife's family is on FB, as well as some of my high school classmates. I really have no idea what you are talking about with "fake stuff". Many people use FB to keep in contact with family.

However, there are those that don't like FB and those that love it. Wife and I have been using it for numerous years and have never had a problem.

5. Al Amoling

Registered

You don't need to be real in order to get on Facebook. That's what fake is.

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Al, please don't tell Ed to do something that could get him into trouble! FB is monitored quite often.

7. Al Amoling

Registered

I'm not telling him to do anything. Stop telling me what to do.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You are telling him your version of FB, which definitely isn't everyone's! Nobody is "telling you what to do", simply suggesting what could happen if he done the fake thing. FB hasn't been going for this many years to be so "fake".

9. Al Amoling

Registered

I'm telling him what I see on Facebook. I'm sorry if that doesn't meet your definition of what's there. If you don't recognize that there's fake stuff on Facebook you're in trouble.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When you register, if you want to call yourself Rumplestiltskin, live on Fenway Park and were born July 4, 1776, you can do that but you’re stuck with it. Whatever you post from that IP address with be from Rumplestiltskin and every July 4th your birthday will be announced.

On the other hand, if you wish to start your own discussion group there might be other parameters that you have to meet but I’m not really so sure you can’t do the same thing as above.

As far as monitoring, the powers that be do monitor some political and sex oriented groups and if there is a “report” on whatever you write it will also be monitored.

Lois Winters likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bobby is right...…….wow, can't believe I said that! LOL

Basically, all I can say is, good luck with being fake on anything. Some folks get away with doing the "fake" thing, while others...……..

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I love Facebook, and because my main purpose is to be in contact with my friends and family; my facebook page with my name on it is the only one that I use for anything.
    Since I also belong to some of the political patriot groups on facebook, I have seen that many people use their own name, and many others use something else.
    Sometimes, not even anything that looks like a name (IE, Red Pill Republic) , and they do just fine. There is also the option of having a business page, if you are planning on having a small business from home yourself. You will find pages called “Suzy’s Bread” or “A-1 Flower Seeds”, or just about any other name.

You can modify your name on Facebook if you want to, such as to add a middle name, or remove a middle name; but the basic information like your birthday stays the same, as far as I know.

Lois Winters likes this.
  13. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I've run into a few phonies on facebook, but you quickly learn to weed them out. One thing to be careful of is getting hacked. I just received to friend invites from people who are already I am friends with. That indicates that their accounts have been hacked. One must notify them of this immediately since everyone loses in this situation if you accept that invite.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, I got hacked once on FB. I got a message that a FB friend had sent us a video and how to see it. Before opening where the video was to be, I decided to call this friend and was told they hadn't.

Also, when it comes to Accepting or Liking a friend, I check the person's FB page out first. A person can have a friend on FB that has a friend and FB will try to connect you with that friend. If I don't know the person, I never accept.

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm not sure about signing up for a new account but my cat has had her own Facebook page for years, using the name Ella Katz. More than half of her Facebook friends aren't even my Facebook friends.

Once it's on Facebook, it becomes real.

Facebook.png