Sunshine Diner

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Julia Curtis, Sep 2, 2023.

1. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Once in a blue moon I go to a tiny little place called The Sunshine Diner.Open concept kitchen so you can see them making what you order and everything is made from scratch right down to the whole grain bread.I always get turkey vegetable soup and turkey salad sandwich on whole grain,no butter on the bread.For that it is $13.80 so it's very rare that I go.But I watch what everyone orders and look at the people having conversations while I sit in my booth for 1.There's nothing I love more than the power of observation (it does however take a back seat to the ocean):)

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Hedi Mitchell and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Julia Curtis

Registered

That's it Yvonne!That's where I go.:)

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've been to places with the open kitchen concept, but for the life of me I cannot recall specifics at the moment. I suspect it puts a damper on the use of colorful language...and the junior chefs might not get beat up quite as much. ;)

Your lunch is not that expensive for dining out, Julia, but it's still way higher than making at home. $13.80CAD = $10.16USD. These days, that's the price of getting something from McDonald's. I have Chinese Buffet once a week, and it's $15USD/$20.37CAD before tip.

I've mentioned before that my dining out alone experiences are different than the experiences of those who eat with others. When you eat alone, the waitstaff is more likely to strike up a conversation with you, so you get to "know things" about the business. At least, that's been my experience...especially as a "regular."

So what else do they have on the menu...burgers & full course meals? Are they open for all 3 meals?

5. Julia Curtis

Registered

They close at 3PM so breakfast all day and lunch stuff.It's a fry zone so nothing deep fried.I didn't realize it as expensive but I only go twice a year so I don't really have the opportunity to compare prices.I was to McDonalds 2 times in my life and it was for a milkshake.When you go in to the Diner you get your own water or coffee and the waitress comes to your table and they do say a few things but it's a busy place so it's mostly just your order.I haven't eaten deep fried anything in 18 years.Yes they have burgers.Goulash,Shepard pie,things like that.Things I make at home.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

There is a diner sort of like that about 25 minutes from home. Sometimes I'll have my weekly "dining out" lunch there instead of the Chinese buffet, if the parking lot isn't too full.

[​IMG]

They are open from breakfast through dinner and are always very busy. Like your diner, the waitresses here are too busy to chat. Their menu it too extensive to describe, but you can get just about anything you want all day long.

I like places like this...they have character.

7. Julia Curtis

Registered

That would be my kind of place to, the times I go are my Birthday and the day before Christmas because they're closed Christmas Day.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  8. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Diners are the best. There are several around here that do breakfast and lunch only and owners are nearly always on site. That makes for the best food. :cool:

9. Julia Curtis

Registered

I couldn't agree more Vada.:)