Sunscreen, What Number Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

In 1982 my Bay Area dermatologist told me to use sunscreen every day, no matter what: even if I was in bed sick on a rainy day with the blinds closed I was still to get up and put on sunscreen. Now living in Australia, with its fierce sun, I use 15 SPF if staying indoors, 30 SPF if just collecting the mail or feeding the magpies, and 50 SPF if I am going to walk outside for an hour or more. I reapply if necessary, but also seek shade, and wear hats with brims. And although I have never burned I have still developed some small basal cell and squamous cell skin cancers that needed to be surgically removed. I consider La Roche-Posay the best brand.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

102 is very low comparatively, but certainly I wonder if those people who do get skin cancer in the Dominican republic are those with a lighter skin...

The UK is 25 on the list, which is not good...

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Guess some people have to use sunscreen, while others don't. Don't necessarily understand that, but there are jobs, like outside construction (buildings and freeways/streets) and landscapers that I doubt use sunscreen.

I remember, in my early 40's, I went to a waterpark (by myself). I didn't have any sunscreen with me, so didn't put any on. Heck, I don't think I'd ever used sunscreen before. Anyway, it was a pretty hot day/sunny day and I had to stand in line for a few of the water rides. So, I get back home and later that night, I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep because of the burn I got. Did go to work, but could hardly move and left. Called a friend of mine and she had me come over and get into her tub full of cool water and ? (don't remember what she put into the water). After laying in the tub for awhile, she put burn cream on me and I laid on her couch for a couple of hours. I was pretty red, almost to the point of having to go to the ER. I've got a sunburn since, but nothing like that day at the waterpark. Absolutely stupid on my part for not having sunscreen on, but, had never used it before that day.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

All the people I knew that didn't use sun screen and got skin cancer got it late in life...my mom and uncle got it in their late 70's.

So, all of you who say you didn't use sun screen and didn't get skin cancer.....who knows yet? Not saying you will because not everyone does. Just like not everyone who smoked gets lung cancer but your odds are better for it.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Chrissy to verify what I wrote little to none compared to other countries. Also we have more sunny days too.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Where did I verify what you wrote???

Also, skin cancer hits fair skinned blue eyed people more often as was stated by Shirley. Don't think the DR has a majority of blue eyed blondes.

Using the DR as an example for skin cancer is skewed.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Another thing that can come from too much sun exposure is Lupus. My wife's friend, spent a lot of time sitting on a beach across from her Florida home in Ormond Beach. She also spent a lot of time on the water in a boat in Florida as well. Even though she is of Spanish (Spain) descent with dark skin that really looks like a great tan, she how has full-blown Lupus. It really affects her life, but, unfortunately, she denies that anything is wrong with her and doesn't take any kind of medications for Lupus.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lupus is an autoimmune disease. I think prednisone is one med prescribed for it, which is not a fun med to take.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Autoimmune and sun exposure........just read that online line concerning Lupus and causes.

Prednisone is was given for ringing in my ear. Unfortunately, it messed up my eyesight and took my BG up to 220. I didn't completely finish the prescription, but took enough to mess up my eyesight. In fact, I had just bought new lenses/frames and received them before taking the med. Another unfortunate thing, the doctor that prescribe me the med, knew I was a diabetic II, but prescribed the med anyway AND he never told me that a side affect could mess up my eyesight. I can see ok with the glasses, but will be darn glad to get new ones next year.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, prednisone has lots of unwelcome side effects but is needed sometimes especially with the autoimmune diseases.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought I read here somewhere that someone's doctor told them to use sun screen as a moisturizer. I don't see it now. The one I use has a moisturizer in it. I wonder if I should be using that daily as a moisturizer?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

The one for my face does, @Shirley Martin. I'm usually not out in the sun here in Fresno so don't bother with my body...only when I know I'm doing something where I'll be out in the sun for awhile.

If I don't use sunscreen...I'll burn, it's as simple as that. Guarding against skin cancer is just a plus.

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

I can verify that . I have just come off 9 months of Prednisone, since being prescribed it last November...

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes it was my Dermatologist who told me that @Shirley Martin and although I use a moisturiser at night with no protection in it, I have followed my doctors advice now for years and always use the sunscreen as a daily moisturiser

Shirley Martin likes this.