Sunscreen, What Number Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We been using Coopertone Sunscreen 30 for a long time, but recently it seems like it's not working as good as it use to. We got a tube of 50, and used it on our forehead, wore baseball caps, but still got some sunburn on our foreheads.

What kind, and number, do you use, if any at all. Does what you use work?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I avoid the sun but if I'm out besides just running to the store, then usually 50.

I'm very fair skinned and burn easily and never tan.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We've known a few people like that.........fair skinned and burn easily. They hardly ever go out. On the other hand, there use to be a lady, in her early 50's, that lived across from us that never used sunscreen. She go to the pool, with her blow-up plastic lounge, and lay on it in the pool for a couple of hours. She didn't look burned at all.

Obviously, since we have a power boat, we have to be out in the sun during the summer months. We do have a Bimini for the boat, supported by a metal frame, that we can put up to kill some of the direct sun, but can't go at a descent speed in the boat with it up. So, when we take it down, we are back exposed to the sun. Unless it's a cloudy day, we have to wear sunscreen to the range also.

Wanted, and did, try the 50, but think the 30 will be ok yet. Guess we just have to reapply it after being in the sun for awhile.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

They say that even on a cloudy day you can get sun.

I'm not so afraid of a sunburn as I am of skin cancer.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When we went to that Waterpark, in Orlando, this last June, I put sunscreen 30 on, but still got fairly burned due to the water in the rides rinsing off the cream. We should have put more on after each ride, but never thought about it cause we were having so much fun.

My last Director/Supervisor got some skin cancer on his temple from playing golf in the sun. He had it removed surgically.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I use factor 15 every day regardless of whether the sun is out or not... A dermatologist once told me that everyone should just throw their moisturisers away and just use Sun cream...

I probably should use a higher factor sometimes when it's really hot or when I'm in Spain but I don't...

I'm blonde and very fair... but I do tan!! I always wear a hat when the sun is really hot... my scalp gets burned too easily

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I can sit in shade with 45 sunscreen...come out looking like Doris Day bad field trip. I love the sun to be out
    and to get me motivated....other than ..I don't do Sun. I do wear 15 during the summer, or 30 sometimes. I wear on screen on my mouth more than anything, as had some questionable sun spots removed years ago.

9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

None I need the vitamin D

Yvonne Smith and Sheldon Scott like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I take vitamin D. Rather do that than chance skin cancer. My mom and uncle spent lots of time in the sun when young without sunscreen. Both had skin cancers, they were caught early and removed.

11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I wonder what sun they were in I live in a country where most of the population does not use any sun screen and little to no skin cancer. It just might not be always the suns fault

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

[QUOTE="
    Obviously, since we have a power boat, we have to be out in the sun during the summer months. We do have a Bimini for the boat, supported by a metal frame, that we can put up to kill some of the direct sun, but can't go at a descent speed in the boat with it up. So, when we take it down, we are back exposed to the sun. Unless it's a cloudy day, we have to wear sunscreen to the range also.

@Cody Fousnaugh , one of the worst sunburns I ever had came from the sun reflecting off the water while we were out on the sound fishing. I had on a wide brim sombrero and thought I wouldn't get burned. I never knew that the sun rays reflecting back up off the water could cause sunburn. But I do now. :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm pretty sure the Dominic Republic has skin cancer @Martin Alonzo.

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have read that people with dark skin have less skin cancer. Their skin darkened during evolution as a protectant against sunburn.

Martin Alonzo and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We have never used sunscreen and we spend a lot of time outdoors.

Yvonne Smith and Martin Alonzo like this.