Sunrise Or Sunset?

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Diane Lane, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems many people prefer one over the other. In many places I lived, sunset was what I had a view of, and during those periods of my life, that was the time of day I was typically better able to appreciate nature. Seeing it from the front porch growing up, from the train on the way home from work were two ways I learned to take a moment, relax, and enjoy the experience. When I moved down here, I would catch the sunsets over the lake on my drives to night classes, and on nights I didn't have classes or work, I would walk by the lake and immerse myself in the glow of the sun setting on the horizon.

I realized a while back that I'd never experienced a sunrise in person, just in pictures, movies, etc. A friend and I got up really early one morning and drove down to San Luis Pass, to see the sunrise. Although it was a somewhat cloudy day, the sunrise was still beautiful, and since then, I have enjoyed the sunrise.

I don't have much of a view here of sunsets, so I focus on the mornings now, although I still love sunsets. This house has a view of the sunrise off of the balcony. The view is obscured by trees, but I'm close enough that I can go down to the beach or nature trails to see it better when I want. I love both sunsets and sunrises, but I really like that the sunrise gives way to lightness, versus darkness.

Do you have a preference between sunrises and sunsets? Like both? Neither?

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I like both but unless you are an early riser I guess sunsets are easier :rolleyes:
    The problem in the UK specifically is that we get so many grey cloudy and wet days, that we become grateful for any sunshine.
    Sunsets can be more spectacular from my experience and create a different mood in me to sunrise.
    This is one of many I took from my bedroom window at home, setting over Worcester city and the Malvern hills.

sunset.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

For myself, I'm a morning person, so I look at it as I do life in general. :) ........
    Sunrise is the beginning, and the feel-good anticipation for what is to come ...
    Sunset is the end .... not that sunsets aren't beautiful, because they are! ... but can be a sad time to me.

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Being a morning person, it has to be sunrises. My energy is at it's peak in the mornings.
    For about 7 years, I was a toll collector on a bridge that spanned the Mississippi river. My shift was the midnight, or 11pm to 7am shift. Sometimes, if you were lucky, you could observe 4 different transportation systems at once.
    For example, on more than one morning, cars would be crossing the bridge, a train passing by underneath and a barge traveling up or down the river, while a plane from the air terminal 35 miles upriver flew overhead. All that while the sun was rising. It was an awesome sight.

Yvonne Smith and Ruby Begonia like this.
  5. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

That's beautiful, @Terry Page ! To answer the question, while I've seen more vivid sunsets, I'd have to go with sunrises for a preference. Start of a new day, promise of hope, all that stuff. :)

Probably what helped me form that opinion is the fact that I love love love the ocean. (Atlantic) And when I go to the ocean, I wait for the sunrise and it never disappoints me with its glory. The colors aren't usually nearly as spectacular as sunset, but it has its own selling points.

I think the prettiest sunrise I've ever seen was just a few years ago when I was out early on a Saturday morning... I went into a store while it was still dark, and when I came out again, it was absolutely breathtaking... the *entire* sky as far as you could see, was covered with bright oranges and reds in "waves." Not just the localized to one spot colors you usually see. Never saw anything like it before that... or since!

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Sunrise for me! Have always been a morning person. In fact I like the time before the sun rises when it's still quiet and dark out.

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I never thought of it. Not being a very early riser I haven't seen a lot of sunrises. I can say I really don't prefer one over the other.

Krissttina Isobe and Terry Page like this.
  8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I've the same sentiments of sunrise and sunsets too. Sunrise means the day begins. Sunset means the day has ended and it's time for serious television and the internet. I got to get myself my own computer soon.:rolleyes:

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.