Subway

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Beth Gallagher, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yup, as any company would do.

Detective Jones here, I wonder who blew the whistle on him.

This is the first I have heard of this. I just remember he wasn't in any of Subway's commercials any more.

2. Mark Bayarsky

Mark Bayarsky Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I go to the supermarket and I mean all of them, they do not cover the salads and other prepared foods. The potato salad for example, has a layer on top that is brown. When I worked in a store in the early 70s that was a health code violation. At the very least it does not look fresh, even if it is. it is cheap and easy to put some clear plastic wrap on the food.
    Subway preparers wear gloves and also there is only a small amount of food that is out to be used. Maybe enough for only a few sandwiches.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

the thing that always disappointed me about Subway is that their ads don't portray what the sandwich actually looks like that you buy. I actually got into a conversation with a regional manager about that and he told me what the sandwich is supposed to contain in terms of meats and the ads
    are completely lying.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are you saying that the actual content is being misrepresented, and not merely the perfection of the assembled product? I've often thought that if I were a Subway franchisee, I would want a refund on that portion of my fees that went to marketing. Subway has the lamest commercials around. It's one of those franchise operations that must award advertising contracts to family members. Now I find out that it's fraudulent to boot.

About the only thing Subway has going for it is the brand familiarity that gives customers a degree of confidence that they know what they're gonna get when they walk into one...the same thing that applies to McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc.

Hoot Crawford and Tony Page like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That's the same for any fast food commercial. I've never gotten any hamburger that looks like the ones I see in the TV ads.

6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

A lot of the food chain television ads don't use real food there is a company that produces plastic food which looks much better than the actual food.
    I went to Subway's once I found I didn't like the food being pre-cut and sitting for who-knows-how-long and look discolored and dry it out.
    If I want to go to a chain sandwich store I prefer going to Blimpie where the meat is cut fresh and kept refrigerated until then.
    We have a few privately owned sandwich stores near us that make absolutely delicious sandwiches, with fresh ingredients. They're a little more costly but well worth it.

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Food handlers are not what they use to be ,when I worked around food we had to have a permit from the health dept.Wear hair nets and sterilize everything. I think that changed 50 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  8. John Brunner

On the flip side, we used to get our bread from the local bakery. If you wanted it sliced, you had to ask.

The cranky women there never wore a hair net, and she always had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth with 2" of ash constantly threatening to fall off into your bread as she hovered over the slicer (not that I would freak out over sterile ash, but still.)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Tony Page likes this.
  9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes the amount of food is grossly misrepresented

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

I find it fascinating that so many people love these chains that I would eat at only as a last resort. Just like Jersey Mike's, I've never found Blimpie to be that flavorful. Of course, the only one I've eaten at was co-located in a Stop 'n Rob that sold gas.

Regarding television ad food, I guess everyone here knows that the milk you see being poured over cereal on television is watered down Elmer's glue. Real milk gives off a blue hue under television lighting.

My favorite sandwiches used to come from a Safeway grocery store next to where in worked. You could get a sandwich made with anything they had in the deli counter, on any bread that they sold.

11. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm about 3 miles from the nearest Publix, and they make the greatest subs in the deli.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Our grocery store has a deli section but I have never considered getting a sandwich or sub from the supermarket deli. Since they have it, I assume that other people do, however. I tried some potato salad from the deli once but I didn't like it very much.

When I worked for the Blue Buffalo pet food company, there was a Fire House Subs next to a store that I worked in a couple of times a week in North Carolina, so I would usually come in an hour early and eat there before starting work. I wouldn't consider it to be fine cuisine but that was probably my favorite sub sandwich place, although I ordered the chili as often as not.

Tony Page likes this.
  13. John Brunner

I commented elsewhere that my first job out of high school was running the beer & wine department at the drug store that was next to Safeway. The woman who ran the deli was fond of a particular wine, so when it would go on sale I would set a couple of bottles of it aside for her and make sure she knew it was on special and ready for her to pick up. In exchange, I got some real Dagwoods.

14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Honestly I might buy a sandwich once in awhile 95% of the time I buy the cold cuts, bread and toppings and make my own sandwich. This way I get to choose the right combination of meats and cheese tomatoes, lettuce, onion, or whatever else I feel like having on my sandwich. The advantage is I have plenty of cold cuts left usually for other meals.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The deli at our grocery store makes excellent tuna salad, so I often buy a container of that. I haven't tried the sub sandwiches, though.