Struggles With Adult Child

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Joy Martin, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I love my daughter but a lot of things she does I don't like. I'm beginning to realize the more one is born with (money stuff), the less grateful they are. I was born with so little and am so grateful and daughter born with so much more comforts and less grateful...and her kids even more so, so much stuff and they don't know what appreciation is....that's how I'm seeing it.

2. Joy Martin

Registered

Oh I don't blame myself as I had to do my life as I did it. Taking care of us after the X took off...I worked hard and played when I could but all not hurting people.

Marie Mallery and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I was talking to a neighbor out walking his dog yesterday and out of the blue, he told me of one of his kids who flat out said she hated him, and another who said he was an embarrassment. We would NEVER had said such things to our parents. It has to do with honoring one's father and mother--a commandment and, if not, respecting those around us.
    I wonder if it is just the environment being created today--the division, hate and encouragement to go against tradition. You see the mob mentality on social media and think it is OK.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Mary--not all parents deserve to be "honored." Children learn what they live.

5. Joy Martin

Registered

Mary, I didn't hate my father. but tried to understand him living with alcoholism
    as he did and we did. He was a man that probably never should have been married
    and what we think a father "should be".. I learned NOTHING from him. He was a happy drunk, angry when sober. But I never hated him, feared him and got to know him the
    most when he was dying as I stayed with him and helped him for 3 months....

Sad for him, he and we all missed a lot of GOOD stuff. He did confess on his last
    months, that he "never believed in a god"....He had to be dying to confess that one.

Oh the life experiences out there.

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I have said everything all wrong. I felt badly for my neighbor. I was not meaning to point fingers. But even you said you tried not to hurt people.
    I was saying how it was in my case. Everything is different for everyone. I have three girls; all very different even though from the same family. yet each saw the world differently. Right down to taking what their mother said and did, I am sure.
    I am sorry if I made you feel badly in any way.

Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Joy Martin

Registered

Mary, if you are talking to me about feeling badly, etc.... your posts did not
    mean anything as far as hating etc....I'm sure there must be families that have a
    lot of hate, I did not, dislike Yes.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Mary Stetler - lolo youngest daughter for years has asked me about her older sister - who raised her? what household did she come from? momma are you sure she isn't adopted? :D

9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Ah, families. No, we are not the Cleavers, but we try our best.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We make Manson look normal.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Yet sometimes when they basically tell us 'They are grown not kids anymore' it is nice to remind them of this when they are dealing with their own grown kids. Of course, all according to how serious the circumstances and THE grown KID.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

I don't know, seems some families have always been angry, remember this movie? Plus the story of Absolon and David in the Bible, Absolom wanted to kill his father David.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Uh huh and sometimes or maybe even most of the time, a kid doesn’t know how smart the parents were until the kid has kids.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

I can tell when my 53-year-old daughter is getting upset with my 'Un-asked for' advice'.
    The next time I heard her complaining about one of her 'GROWN' kids and what she told ' advised' them. I just reminded her how much she appreciates mine at times.:D She finally got it. Mothers never shut up or give up.