Stress. How Do You Cope With It In Your Life?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Babs Hunt, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think there is anyone who doesn't feel stress in their lives at one time or another. Stress is definitely not good for the soul or the body and has been proven to be a factor in many diseases, and ill health. There are many suggestions for relieving stress and although they probably are all good suggestions...they don't work for everyone. What I would like to know is what works for relieving stress in your life? And do you find as you get older stress is easier to cope with or harder?

Stress-comic-by-Randy-Glasbergen.gif

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

In better days I used to go to our "unofficial" shooting range and shoot stuff up. Clay birds, empty cans etc. These days I just swear a lot.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I love honesty Ike Willis! That's what made me know you weren't missing from this Forum because you found a better place to be honest in. I'm glad you are back and I hope you are getting better every day...please let someone know your personal address, or emergency contact so if you disappear again we can "find" you. :)

th (60).jpg

4. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

I like to shop online. I enjoy walking my doggie..I read. I listen to music. I use a little meditation and focus on good things. I enjoy the forum...and I love the entertainment and fun threads here like music, movies, colors, and light banter. My dog is just the brightest spot in my day..she's such a joy. I think animals help us a lot in that regard.

5. Karen McKenzie

Registered

image.jpg
    Oh..one more thing..I think stress definitely makes us sick...and learning to cope with it can make us feel better in every way. :)

6. Karen McKenzie

Registered

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you for sharing @Karen McKenzie
    Thank you for sharing @Karen McKenzie. Music helps relieve my stress too...there is music for whatever emotion you are feeling...that's for sure. :) And I definitely agree about animals too...in fact I would love to have a puppy right now in my life...but my allergies which are getting worse by the year rules that out. I'm trying to go back on allergy shots so that having a puppy can be a reality in my life once again. I am confident that it will all work out. Sometimes even what we think of as negative stress can relieve our stress....I have often thought if I could put up a "boxing bag" and put on boxing gloves and punch at that bag until I "let it all hang out" that might be a great stress reliever for me. :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Karen McKenzie and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

After a fairly stressful week at work, my wife came home on Friday night and had a Bud Light and a shot of Fireball (cinnamon/whiskey) with a Taco Salad from Taco Bell. Sure helped! Me, with not-so-stressful week, had a Bud Light and shot of 1800 Tequila with a Taco Salad.

9. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I use meditation and sometimes affirmations. I've gotten some great ones from Louise Hay's books. I believe people don't have time not to meditate because it makes so much difference. That being said, when I don't take time to do it I make a Margarita or drink light beer with my husband while we sit outside and look at the mountains and listen to all the sounds of the neighborhood.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the stressed spelled backwards is desserts post by Karen! I pray a lot and keep on going researching online about help or support to relieve stress and solving problems too. I just like Ruby watch television to alleviate stress too! I like to think positive and affirm with everything will be alright. Praying helps so much too.

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Shooting target has always been touted as a good way to mollify stress, reduce it. I know for a fact that, when I was reloading certain specific calibers back in Missouri, trying them out resulted in reducing stress. It replaced stress as a part of "being", by embracing activity as a part of "doing". Makes little sense? Frank

Ina I. Wonder and Ike Willis like this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If I am stressed about something, watching television, or even reading is not at all helpful for me. I have the best results when doing some physical activity, even if it is just walking.
    On a daily basis, what really keeps me de-stressed is going to the fitness center and swimming. Besides what other exercises I do (depending on how my knee is working that day) I always swim and do water exercises for an hour, and after that , I feel just tired and refreshed all at the same time.
    When I lived in Idaho and was in the country, then I went outside and walked in the woods and that always helped to clear my mind also. Now, it is hard for me to walk very far; but swimming is something that I can still do, and love to do.

When I go to bed at night, I usually listen to a healing/motivational tape . Not really a tape, but an app that I have on the iPhone, and I play it at night and listen with headphones.
    I just ordered a new set of bluetooth earbuds similar to the ones @Terry Page has, and looking forward to trying those after reading Terry's enthusiasic report. They were on the Elite Deals discounts for $6.99 instead of $20+ something, so I ordered them.
    One that I got recently, and play often , is the Healing Solfeggio Tones, which is spoken and subliminal, plus the healing notes of the Solfeggio scale. There are 6 different tones/notes, so I play one each night, and work my way through the set. Each one is for healing different things, and they are all very relaxing.

15. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope they live up to the expectations I gave you in my review Yvonne :) I use them every day now, and I found the quality does improve after they have been in use for a hundred or more hours. You do need to carefully choose the size of rubber earbud you attach, they gave 3 sizes with mine, also the bluetooth pairing can be a bit tricky at first. You certainly got a bargain for $6.99 :)