Strawberries And Currant Bushes

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, May 7, 2017.

1. Lakely Forest

Lakely Forest Member
    Registered

The best eating currants of all are the pink champagne currants. They are so so good they barely make it into the house at my sisters property. She has an orchard and many many berries, including many varieties of currants. But by far the pink champagnes are the best eating. Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone interested.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My bushes and plants all arrived this morning. The rain has stopped and the sun is out; so I am working on getting everything planted before I go to Idaho next week.
    I am going to share the asparagus plants with Robin, and we can plant those for her when I spend the night there next week before we leave on our early morning flight out west.
    I want to make a strawberry tower from the plastic laundry hamper; but I am not going to start that until I get back home. I think that it might be nice to have it on the back deck once Bobby has one built; and since it will be heavy once it is filled with dirt, I want to construct it where it is going to stay permanently.
    For now, I will put the berry plants in containers, and then I can easily transplant them later. Something like this picture is what I have in mind.
    IMG_0485.JPG

Edit to add: I have everything planted now except for the asparagus that is going to my daughter's house , and I have it in a planter with dirt for a temporary home for those. I see little green sprouts on some of the currants, roses, and a few of the strawberries; so hopefully, with some sunshine and rain, pretty soon they will be leafing out.

Last edited: May 25, 2017