Stimulus Eviction Moratorium

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Apparently the new stimulus bill includes some $25B in "rent relief," so that should help a portion of the people facing evictions by the end of the month. The broader picture is that the country is going to have to get back to "normal" where people can work again.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I've seen that done in a couple of movies. Is that even legal?

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Probably depends from state to state, as well as how long ago it was when he did that.
    Way back when, my husband got a job working on a dam that was being built, and there was no rentals of any kind available, so we found a little creek in the woods and camped out. It was not the best way to live, and the weather was rainy , but we did it.

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Oh no, it's not. Or probably not, anyhow. But it had electricity and all my stuff was there.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In Winston / Salem I knew a guy who rented UHauls who charged folks $5 to sleep over night in the back of one of them.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I don't think I'll ever purge my corporate years.

All I see is risk...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, owners of apartment complexes sure aren't going to like this: Biden extended the eviction ban until March 2021 and will be asking Congress to extend it to September 2021.

I don't know exactly how this eviction ban works, but, from what I've read, a renter has to show apartment complex manager proof that they can't pay their monthly rent or a part of it. The key word here is "proof". Don't know what "proof" that has to be shown, but if a renter does pay some amount of due rent, that will keep them out of trouble later. But, what about those that simply won't pay rent at all?

Wonder what will happen with apartment complex employees, such as management and maintenance, when it comes to their salaries and paying for vendors who do things to the complex?

And, how does this ban work if a manager wants to evict a resident for something other than rent? Like, too noisy, dogs barking or whatever?

Bill Boggs likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Why don't you ask the maintenance girl?

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Why? Beth, do have something against her? Anyway, she has been sick this week.

Currently, there are some 20 apartments both "available" and "coming available. I guess some just can't pay their rent and moving elsewhere, like in with friends or family. Our upstairs neighbor moved out. The young ladies father died, so she, and her husband, moved in with her mother. Perhaps her mother will let them smoke inside the house, instead of going outside and in their vehicle.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One thing still remains the same, any renter who doesn't pay either their entire rent or only pays part of it, still owes the owners the behind rent they haven't paid yet. If a resident doesn't, that could definitely hurt their credit and mess up their living references.

Mary Robi likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

How on earth would I have anything "against her?" I've never seen the woman in my life. But she seems to be your pipeline to insider information so I thought she'd be your go-to source.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, sorry for what I said. But, you are right about the "go-to source". As far as we know, she is still sick.