Stealth Camping

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ivan Tea Sanderzon, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Ivan Tea Sanderzon Well-Known Member
    Registered

There are some who do. I enoy the thought of driving somewhere and having everything I need to survive should I require it, and a mini rv is MUCH less expensive than a class A, B or C.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Registered

I think it's a place to stay at no cost while enroute to a destination. Joan Rivers had a famous saying, "cheap is good, free is better."

Personally, my wife and I are unlikely to make use of these type places but it's good to know they are available in a pinch.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that a mini-RV is a great idea, and my little VW camper bus was pretty much perfect for me, although the larger Dodge camper van had more room for traveling and staying places. I used to have one of those campground memberships at one time, and I loved traveling and camping at the different campgrounds, mostly around Washington State, since that was where I lived at the time.
    I even worked at one of those campgrounds for a while (and enjoyed the job a lot), and it came with camping benefits, as well as the use of the park where I worked, so I could swim and use the hot tub, or bring my family out for dinner at one of the BBQ’s by the little lake on the property.

It is not something I would do anymore; but still one of the many memories I look back on and enjoy remembering. Just traveling and having to sleep in the car, is also something I remember very well, but not as nice as having the little camper van, for sure. Even camping out with my little Mazda pickup was doable, and Robin (my daughter) and I went on several trips that way.

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Ivan, welcome to the forum, I too like to travel and consider myself a professional camper. My husband Jake on the other hand is a " home on the range type, unlike my ,'don't fence me in' {two classic American songs}.
    We have temporally lived in tents with 3 kids several decades ago.
    Now that we are older and society is more dangerous ,we no longer trtavel.

Although my van is always ready to go and well supplied.
    I had to sell my bus thinking it was selfish jake working on it but then he had it in perfect running condition and we both totally redid the inside. Took all bus seats out, etc.
    Only possession I can say I actually loved. I put this picture up here a couple times before,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

We always used campgrounds. But also, have had to camp in vehicle for a few days. No fun.

We used KOA Campgrounds many times and always had tents.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

I agree. No problem hitting the road in a hurry, if the SHTF its nice to be able to "get out of Dodge' in a hurry if need be. I do love out place here in the woods, but my van stays on the ready.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

We were members of this site as well, still a member, just don't camp now.

@Ivan Tea Sanderzon , lots of good info at this site from fellow nomads and campers.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=83ab...1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaXJ2Mi5jb20vZm9ydW1zLw&ntb=1

Ivan Tea Sanderzon likes this.
  8. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There seems to be no end to the variations.

Some are into larger vehicles, often really vans kitted out as subtle RVs. Others take the concept as a hobby and a challenge, rarely going to extremes like:

But people often do this using smaller SUVs or even cars where the seats can fully recline. Some approaches are lees practical with age and loss of flexibility while others aren't too bad. Camping in a hole can't be much fun even if you are 23 though.

Stealth camping near the middle of the range is probably more about where to camp overnight without being chased away, blocking outside lighting, and how and where you deal with restroom & bathing needs, water, cooking, and comfort. And nothing says you can't take a night off here and there stopping in to take advantage of a motel.

So the reasons for doing it that come to mind are the challenge and saving money on long road trips. Maybe also road-tripping through areas where accommodations are thin and widely spaced.

I've traveled through long stretches of Michigan's Upper Peninsula where options can get pretty slim. Further west they probably even become more thin. Of course you do have to be wary of bears.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sam Walton was an RVing enthusiast, so as long as he was alive he made Walmart overnight parking available for weary RVers to stop and get some rest. People knew to park far out on the lot and keep the RV "zipped up"; it was simply a spot to pull in and rest.

Unfortunately over the years, towns have passed laws that prohibit the practice and the RVers themselves became such entitled jackasses that now many Walmarts no longer allow it. The RV forum used to feature a "camping at Walmart" thread where idiots would show their $500k motorhome sitting in the lot with the awning open, slides out, lawnchairs in place, and BBQ grill fired up. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Or some "cousin Eddie" guy with his junker RV would park and stay for weeks. People spoil everything.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Stealth camping also involves camping in a tent or hammock in small areas of cover within an urban area, such as behind a billboard or within a small wooded area next to a shopping center or police station.

11. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Registered

I am always well prepared for bears.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

We used to have this law called ,vacracy. You would go to jail for not having a residence. Imagine that even hobo's had to have a outa site boxcar, another song:)
    But we also had institutions for mentally ill, of course I hear some of those weren't so great.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL cousin Eddie, most of us have one of those.
    We do tend to mess things up.