Stage Fright Detector For Android

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I just read in the newspaper about the loop hole of the Android operating system for phones. That a hacker can get control of your phone by just sending one SMS. Further, the hacker can use your phone camera and can also access the gallery. Google has already addressed the issue and a patch is already available (probably in the Google play store).

And to detect if your Android phone is vulnerable to that defect, simply download and install the Stagefright Detector app from Google Play store.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just read that this morning, too. Someone had posted that same exact information in another forum that I belong to.
    I am certainly glad that I have an Apple iPhone, and as far as I have heard, they are not having any kind of issues with that .
    It is interesting that Android didn't release information about the possibility of their products being hacked into until they also had an app that you can get to stop the hacking.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have any Android phone nor Apple or Windows phone, but yet Android tablets that sometimes I'm worried about because simple apps request too much permissions to be installed when they do almost anything to request these to be granted.

Even though, even if denied, a hacker may break into the operating system and steal information or manipulate remotely our devices, so it's always great to be informed to avoid falling into such kind of security threats.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

The issue of hacking is similar to the issue between the Apple's Mac and the PC of Windows. Mac is not easy to infect with virus since the operating system is quite unique and compact - this compact means the setting is not that easy to tweak unlike in PC where even the details inside the operating system can be altered. That is the reason why there are so many viruses for the PC since the architecture of the operating system is commonly known.

With phones, the iPhone seems to have no incident of virus attack while the Android is an open target for viruses.

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have a phone, just my Android tablet, so I suppose I don't need to worry about this. If someone hacked into my photo gallery, all they would find is pictures of my products listed in my shops, and cat pictures, as well as the occasional picture of something I've cooked. I'm afraid there isn't anything very exciting on my tablet.