Solar Eclipse

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 31, 2024.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like this kind of stuff. I find it comforting that there are forever constants in the universe that Man cannot corrupt.

It makes me angry that light pollution has cut us off from nightly reminders of the vastness of it all. Our perspective has been stolen.

2. John Brunner

So I surf into live news coverage of the eclipse in Indiana. The talking head is saying "You can see a few stars, and there are also some planets up there."

USA!
    USA!
    USA!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    Krystal Shay and Vada Bloom like this.
  3. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think it’s great that people are interested in the wonders of God’s universe. Where it is over rated (IMO) or at least over covered is in the media, which is turned off. I too miss the stars since my camping days are over.

John Brunner and Krystal Shay like this.
  4. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It was amazing! Perfect! The sky went totally dark and the sky filled with stars. We seen the little diamond burst at the end also, just seconds before the sun started to come out.:cool:

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We had perfect viewing conditions for the eclipse, and we watched it from our backyard, after all. We had, as advertised, a 100% eclipse. The pictures don't come out the same as what the eclipse looked like through the viewing glasses but I took some, along with a few from around town, before the eclipse began. As an added plus, from what I can see, the world hasn't come to an end.

6. John Brunner

I took pics of the image in the pinhole camera I made. They are underwhelming.

7. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There are still places you can get to with some effort and see spectacular evening vistas. In parts of even the US people still take these for granted, but the rest of us with local light pollution do have options.

I'd like to find a group in Michigan the keeps an eye out for night events and stretches of clear night. Ideally we'd structure getaways for short notice and keep them "in the magazine."

Places in the Upper Peninsula like Brimley State Park offer camping and showers but also still have some good low light pollution views of the skies including out over Whitefish Bay. Parts of the Keweenaw Peninsula offer such things as well as even better views of the Aurora Borealis - though the drive is considerably longer. I believe there is even a "night skies park" in the northern Lower Peninsula.

I guess the idea would be to have camping/motels and eateries lined up, allowing those who want to camp and eat instant oatmeal as well as those wanting a bed and some breakfast to partake. There might be carpooling options among friends and families or just let the Wacky Races begin at the starting gun. Some might go for a single night, others for 2 or even 3.

Sort of a loose and fun Gumball Rally sort of a deal.

Planning required is minimal. Pick some meetup locations for sky events, put together sleep and eat options for each one, then watch for sky events and/or stretches of clear weather and maybe low bugs (skeeters, black flies, etc.) and announce "runs" with like a week's notice: be there or be square.

Nicer with a small group to share experience and expertise, not to mention comradery.

Probably just as feasible in other States too. Does this already exist?

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I did see the 'full eclipse' with the moon in front on the sun without glasses just by an unattempted glance as I was trying to take a picture of it. The pictures just show the sun's rays and not the ring around the moon as I had hoped. In the backyard I saw the solar lights come on and stood there as the sunlight gradually returned. Was it awesome, no. Just a moment in time that I can say I seen an eclipse in my lifetime. I thought about really being dramatic with my experience but I would be lying.

9. John Brunner

I think there are star gazing cruises that will get us away from light sources. I've not investigated details.

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought the eclipse had already gone. Went out to feed the birds by accident around peak time (3 pm here) and things looked odd. Not a cloud in the sky, but it was like you were looking through lightly tinted blue glass. I checked THIS MAP. It says we experienced 80% coverage even here at 300 miles away. So it takes only 20% of the sun to show to brighten things up almost to normal. That's amazing.

@Von Jones must have been right near the center too. Hope she had clear skies. (oops, posting at the same time)

Correction. Checked another map. It was 12 miles to the edge of the path of totality, not the center.

I remember the eclipse of 1984. Path maybe 30 miles north of here. We all went outside at work when it arrived. The light between the leaves in the trees created little pin hole cameras. You could see hundreds of little partially covered suns on the sidewalk. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  11. Ken Anderson

I thought the eclipse was amazing, but the photos don't reflect the reality. The best thing is that maybe all of these people will go away now that it's over.

12. John Brunner

I hadn't thought of putting on a visored cap to shield my eyes and pointing a digital camera at the thing, using the screen to get the pic. dammit. It does make you wonder how many burned retinas there have been over the eons before (and after) the dangers were known.

It's funny, I noticed "the quietening of the creatures" to be more pronounced during a lunar eclipse at 2AM than I did during this solar one. Perhaps the night birds were more active then than the day birds were today. To me, the response of the critters is a big component of the experience.

Don Alaska, Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

IMG_6354.jpeg
    From N. Alabama

14. Ken Anderson

15. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It was overcast so all you could see is it getting darker from the only partial eclipse here.