Smart Watch

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Tim Burr, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I've had my smart watch for a while now and I really like it.

I have always enjoyed wearing a watch, and this one looks good
    and has one feature that sure helps me through the day.

Since I can't really hear the little chime on my phone when I get a message,
    I miss messages and even calls because my phone is in my pocket.

With this watch, when I receive a message or call, the watch chimes and vibrates
    then displays either the message or who is calling me.

The other functions such as heart rate, blood pressure, etc can be helpful,
    being able to respond when someone is trying to reach me is a great feature.

The other thing I like is there are no buttons to push, you just touch the face
    to change to a different mode.

Raise your arm to check the time and the display lights up, then goes out after 5
    seconds or so.

The last time I was at the doctor, my blood pressure by their machine, was 122/77.
    When I ran the test on my watch, it came out at 120/76.
    [​IMG]

The watch didn't break the bank, so if it only last a while it's ok.

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My daughter gave me her Apple Watch when she got one of the new cellular ones, and I can’t begin to say how much I love this watch, and how glad I am to have it.
    As you pointed out, @Tim Burr , with the smart watch on, you never miss a call because it alerts you, and even when I am driving, I can answer the call because I can do it with the watch and not have to dig out the phone from my purse.
    I can also see when I get texts and instant messages, and (within limited amounts) I can even answer the text with the watch.
    My son uses SIRI with his Apple Watch, and I am pretty sure that he can send any kind of texts he wants just by speaking; but it has not been important enough to me to even try it out and see.

One of the best things is that it checks my pulse rate any time I want. Mine does not check blood pressure, but I have a wrist cuff that I can use when I need to do that.
    By linking the Apple Watch with my Health app on the iPhone, I can get a good readout of my health every day.
    I use the Carbmanager app for my food, and Sleepmatic for my sleeptracking app, and once everything connects and syncs with the health app, I have all of the fitness tracking information, all of the food intake (protein, carb, vitamins, minerals, etc.) as well as the heart information.
    I can see what my heartrate was while I was sleeping, and it surprised me that some of the highest readings seemed to happen during the night sometimes........ maybe dreaming ?
    My watch is totally waterproof, so I also wear it swimming, and it tells me how far I swam, how many laps, which swimming strokes I was doing, as well as how long I swam and how many calories I burned while doing it.

Bobby doesn’t swim at the fitness center, but he wears his for his muscle training workouts, so he also has all of that important health information.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

At first, there was a small let down so far as the watche’s interpretation of how many calories I was burning.
    There’s a bodybuilding setting which tells me that I burn about 400 to 500 calories for each workout as opposed to Yvonne’s 1000 or so for her time spent swimming. That doesn’t bother me because I can see how swimming is a full body experience and will burn more calories than muscle isolation and shooting for hypertrophy does.

What did bother me was when I am out and about working at renovating a house or whatever, the amount of hard work I do doesn’t compute to to a realistic amount of caloric loss.
    So, I adjusted things and now put the watch on the body workout setting during the time I am actually working and I think I get a more accurate reading than simply leaving it on the normal setting.
    It’s an ego thing perhaps but even so, my ego is better fed.

Oh yeah, the phone thing. I do dearly HATE telephones and the overall willingness of people to become slaves to them but at least now I do not have to stop and run to it or dig it out of my pocket every time someone wants to talk to me. It’s on my wrist so no more heavy stops and starts and if I do not wish to speak to someone I can simply cover the watch face and abracadabra, the call along with someone asking for an extension on their rent time or wishing to borrow something disappears.

Tim Burr and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole I agree about the stopping and pulling out my phone just to see who I want to ignore.

We have a 'no cell phone' type policy here at work, but there are times that I need to
    log the time I responded to a problem.
    So out come the phone, check the time, back in my pocket.
    Now I just leave it on silence, and use the watch.

As far as the work out settings, the app states a person my height and weight should
    walk 20,000 steps per day as a goal.
    Since I walk a mile and a half each way to catch the bus, I fly right pass that goal
    every day I work.
    I still enjoy the little trophy icon that appears when I reach that goal.

Haven't got around to checking out the other work out modes.
    I'm afraid that the elevated heart rate thing will vibrate letting my know I'm in the 'danger' zone!

Kind of fun to look at the daily chart of my heart rate after I get home at night.
    I check the times to see if I was really working hard or was it just one of the lovely ladies passing by...:rolleyes:

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

On the Apple Watch , the elevated heart rate alert happens only when you are inactive and your heart rate goes up, so it might work that way on your smart watch as well, @Tim Burr . When I am swimming, or just out walking and getting in my steps, and my heart rate goes up from exercise, the watch monitors that, but does not alert me because it considers the higher heartrate to be a normal increase. Sometimes, mine goes up during the night when I am sleeping, and then the watch vibrates and alerts me.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

You have probably hit on a gazillion dollar addition to the watch: Girl Watching! It could even include a pharomone sensor just to check out the possibilities.
    Every red blooded single male (and some not so single) in the civilized world would buy one!

Don Alaska and Tim Burr like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

How about an app where the wife can watch her husband's HR as a sexy lady walks by?? :cool::p

8. Yvonne Smith

Almost !
    With Apple Watch “sharing” , I can see the fitness results for everyone that I share with. So, maybe not his heart rate; but if Bobby goes chasing some girl down the street, I can see the extra steps he is getting in........how is that ?

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha...guess you can also see where he is on share my location....if it's a motel or a home of a sexy young thing, lol.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

For the normal male, that might be a great option. As for me, the only thing it might provide is the finding that my heart beats much faster for my wife than it does for any other female. :)

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Naw.....The other day I was sitting 10’ from my wife with my phone, Ipad and watch and her locator showed that I was somewhere a couple of miles away.
    Many times, the locator shows me on the next street over.
    It doesn’t figure but it is what it is.

Chrissy Cross likes this.