Smart Home Devices Used In Internet Attack

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diane Lane, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Apparently the website attacks that have been taking place have used smart devices to launch the attack. I don't have upscale smart devices, such as smart refrigerators, washers, etc., but I guess my other devices could probably be used in this manner, which upsets me. Here's the article from BBC with more information.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I couldn't get on here a lot today...just seeing this now @Diane Lane.

I don't have any of those things but my kids do.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have heard of smart devices, those appliances that are automated like refrigerators that turn off by itself. Also those smart devices can be controlled using the phone. With the network handling the control of the smart devices, it will not be far before virus and hackers get interested.

One smart home I saw on TV seems to have a mind of its own. It will turn on the lights when needed. Truly man had gone too far in terms of technology.

Diane Lane and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't entirely trust smart appliances, etc. I have seen at least one movie or TV show where they were used to kill someone, although I don't recall exactly how that came about. I'll never entirely trust something that has the ability to be hacked, whether it's a home device, a vehicle, medical device, etc. Unfortunately, there are too many people in the world who have no compunction about doing whatever it takes for a variety of motives, such as greed, religion, politics, etc.