Simple Pleasure For Simple Minds...

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Ed Marsh, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    One of the fun things I have discovered here in my dotage is the flying of radio controlled model airplanes. I've been my whole life interested in airplanes and flight, and since I've found how inexpensive rc planes can be, I've bought myself some really fun little planes to fly.
    It's a great deal of fun to take off, fly some simple loops and rolls and other basic aerobatic stunts and then bring the little plane back down for a safe landing- and it happens, from time to time.

I just got back from my flying field, and since I had a very good flight, I feel better about the world. Simple pleasures for simple minds, I reckon.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was a kid I had a couple of those string-controlled planes with the .049 gas engines (Cox?) One of them was a "trainer," and the wings were affixed with a rubber band so as to better survive a crash. At some point, I received a Snoopy/Red Baron biplane for a gift. I was never very good with them (meaning they went straight up and then straight down with no horizontal flight and no survivors.)

Drones have tempted me, but I've not pulled the trigger because I've yet to define the "best fit" for me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I use to have one of those small remote controlled helicopters. The kind that can basically be flown inside a house or apartment. It was fun, but I got tired of it. So, gave it to a neighbor. Either it's still flying around or it has "crashed and burned" somewhere.

For us, it's pretty soothing for us to watch a good rodeo, Cutting or Reining Competition. And, even walk thru a County Fair looking at all of the livestock. The smell put us in Heaven!

Jacob Petersheim likes this.