Shopping For Gas Stove

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Marie Mallery, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I will be in the market to purchase all new appliances since We tossed All our appliances after the fire. reviewing consumer reports in Just about every appliance category LG Was top rated.
    Almost to the day one year prior to the fire we had purchased an LG refrigerator and we loved it, So we're probably going with LG again.

2. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My new Whirlpool Fridge was $900.00 from Lowe's. And I was happy because I had 12 months to pay with no interest & they only charged $25.00 to get rid of my old one & $75.00 delivery. Just the box & papers would have filled 5 trash cans.........

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

When shopping for a gas stove keep in mind that many stoves require hydro to ignite the oven and to stay lit which can be a major drawback in some situations. There are stoves with battery ignition where this is not an issue, one such stove is https://uniqueappliances.com/product/classic-retro-30-convection-gas-range/ which we got 5 years ago and are very pleased with. I note it uses a standard flashlight battery which we have had to replace just once over those years!

Jake Smith likes this.
  5. Jake Smith

Registered

This one is lit by electricity, so if power is out, you just use a lighter like the ones for lighting an outside grille, works great even without power. :)

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Burners usually light fine, but the oven does not.

Jake Smith likes this.
  7. Jake Smith

Registered

Yeah, I never tried to light the oven when the power was out. Did replaced the ignitor in the old oven once, and was still working fine when we replaced it. Not so sure if lighting the oven when powers out, would be a good idea, you would be dealing with a lot more propane, than with the burners. :eek:

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

There is usually a safety device on the oven that prevents it from being lit when the power is out. If you have to bake during a power outage, use a Coleman camp oven or (with difficulty) a Dutch oven. Better yet, use the Dutch oven and charcoal outside in your charcoal grill if you have one.

Jake Smith likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've thought of getting a UPS unit they make for desktop computers in case I want to use my oven during a power outage, but I've not researched if it would be sufficient to the task. I do know I would unscrew the oven light if I tried it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Jake Smith

Registered

That is what I would think, that it would be a safety device in place, to keep people from blowing themselves up. I have a Coleman stove and an outside propane grille I use. Also a tail gator cooker, I use for canning. Thanks, Don for the advice. :)

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since our electric stove quit working, we considered transitioning to a propane stove. When we bought the place, it had a propane stove, but it looked awful, so we replaced it with an electric one. However, as it turns out, the costs aren't worth it. Besides the cost of the stove itself, we'd have to pay to have it modified for propane, given that they all seem to be intended for natural gas, which is not available here. Plus, they want $400 just to run the propane line. So, we're going to see if someone can either fix our electric one or buy another electric one.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Jake Smith

Registered

That's a lot of money, "$400.00", to run a propane line, must be a long way they have to run the line, but then again everything is higher now.

13. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ken said "Besides the cost of the stove itself, we'd have to pay to have it modified for propane, given that they all seem to be intended for natural gas, which is not available here."

My stove came with nozzles for both and it was a simple 10min job the change them!

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I think that is all it needs, the correct nozzle which you can buy.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We made the transition when we moved in here from electricity to propane and I don't recall it being terribly expensive. I think the propane company ran the line to the stove when they put the tank in so I don't think it cost anything extra. We later changed from propane to natural gas by simply changing nozzle I think.