Shooting Pictures And Video With The Phone

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

If you are using a phone to shoot pictures or video, are you aware of the position? I used to take pictures with my phone in the standing position (vertical shot) until my husband called my attention. He explained that the proper position of the phone is the horizontal so the shape of the picture would conform to the design of the computer monitor or the tv screen. It is called wide screen now and the phone's camera is also equipped for that design.

Now, if you will shoot in a vertical position then you will notice the 2 black borders on both sides of the picture when you upload it in the computer.

2. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a Galaxy 7 and I have only had it a month. I have taken only one picture with this phone so far. I am always aware of the position and have played with the wide angle. I have also downloaded 2 picture apps. One will allow me to take black and white photos while the other app will allow me to design borders for my photos.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you @Corie Henson for that explanation. Now I understand why after downloading phone photos that I have to rotate them to the correct position sometimes. Would this apply to videos too? I'm still trying to find out how on shoot videos that don't come out sideways. When this happens I have to use the video editor to make the correction. I haven't done it to often and each time I have struggled to remember how it was done.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, videos are better shot horizontally to fit the wide screen. Correcting the position of the video or picture has its disadvantage for it loses some resolution. As they say, there is loss in the resolution since the adjustment has its trade off. So if you always shoot horizontally then there would be no need to adjust with a photo editor or a video editor.

Almost all my shots in my first smart phone were all standing (vertical) and it was only when my husband called my attention did I learn to shoot properly.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

This is why I continue to use a digital camera for 90% of my photography and have HD video on the camera as well.

With an iPhone, the only way to use a zoom (in or out) is to use the phone screen. And, like you stated about having the iPhone in the right position to take photo's or video....the old memory isn't as good as it once was.
    As for me, I'll just keep on using a camera.