Shannon In The Window

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Now that Shannon has recovered from her surgery and is feeling better, she seems to really enjoy sleeping in one of the windows off the balcony. I think the squirrels and possibly a raccoon or two visit in the nighttime, so she sees plenty of action. I'll occasionally hear something moving around out there in the middle of the night, and will hear her excited cries, so I know it's an animal, and nothing to be concerned about. Shannon in the window.jpg

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes she will enjoy seeing the comings and goings of the critters at night, cats are on the alert no matter what time of day :p

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep!;)
    [​IMG]

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What operation did Shannon undergo? When pets have surgery, it is more difficult because unlike people who can complain, pets just have to endure the discomfort. I'm glad that she is now recovering and it looks like she is having a great time in that window sill.Just like my dog Barbie whose favorite place is the sofa by the glass door. She stays on the arm rest so she could see the activities in the road. It's a good thing that our street is a cul-de-sac so there's not much activity that she can bark on.

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

So glad Shannon is recuperating after her surgery. Get well soon Shannon! Guess other animals kind of know when one of theirs needs cheering up too so they visit her at the window...how nice!

Joe Riley likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

We (vet and I) thought she needed one or two teeth removed, but it turned out that she had some condition cats get where the teeth deteriorate from the inside and it's not visible from the outside. She ended up having to have 9 teeth removed, which was pretty traumatic for us both. I didn't even know there was a problem, since the deterioration wasn't visible, until she developed an abscess, which is when I took her in to see what the problem was. It's been a few months now, and she's doing much better than she had been for a while.

7. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm so happy she is on the mend. She is such a beautiful cat. When my cats had to have procedures done I buy baby food (lamb meat). It's the easiest meat to digest and builds them up. A little expensive but well worth it. :)

Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  8. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane

My cat had to have ALL her teeth removed in 2014 (she was 5 yrs old at the time). Horrible, painful disease called feline stomatitis....very bad odor. She came thru fine, and was much livelier afterwards. She eats mostly soft canned food, soft treats, and sometimes she likes dry food (small morsels).

At the time I did some research and stomatitis is rather common.

Glad Shannon is feeling better. :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yikes, I guess I got off light with the urniary crystals thing. It would be horrible if kitty had to have his teeth removed. However, he is not supposed to eat normal food now, and I have to buy this expensive vetinary special blend food, that I can ill afford. Oh well, hmm, I wonder if there is any leeway on this. I should check with the vet sometime. I don't want a recuurence of the problem though, and he seems to like the special food fine, so maybe I should just bite the bullet!:rolleyes::rolleyes: Anything for Milo!

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

Perry the one cat had a lump which was the size of a quarter that broke open and drained. I didn't know at the time till he let me look at him. He wasn't in pain, but was a mess. I cleaned him more puss was running out. I poured the peroxide on it let it drain some more. when it stopped fuzzing and foaming I put a loose bandage around his lump and around his tummy. Can't find where the lump was and the same ol'e Perry.:)

Diane Lane and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Arlene Richards

There was a book in our attic when I was a kid, dental book or something, medical maybe, which had the most horrible-looking pictures of teeth and gums affected with what back then was called "ulcerative stomatitis". Your use of that word made me think of it. I suspect today, the affliction is known as something else.
    Frank

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Marilyn Pahl

So glad he is OK! My old male cat after surgery, had to have a big cardboard cone affixed around his head, to prevent him from reaching the sutures. I have a picture of him with it somewhere, will try to retrieve it.
    Frank

13. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

Thank-You... I was visitiing my cuz in Ark. on a rice farm. That was 6 yrs. ago. Then they had a retriever that was bitten by a water moccasin, he came inside, and kept holding his head down. His mouth was all puffed out. Cuz gave him a bowl of vanilla wafers and poured Jack Daniels over them sort a mashed them down. He had a good sleep, well both my cat and him. Next morning felt better. Swelling went down. We were far away from a vet.:)

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Marilyn Pahl

We lived down that way for 13 years. Copperheads were commoner than moccasins by us. We heard the stories of animals' abilities to survive. Goats are supposedly immune mainly to Rattlesnake venom.
    Frank

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't think that goats are immune to snake venom. When I lived in Missouri, I had several goats, and one day we found one of them just laying out in the pasture dead. He had been fine and playing with the other goats that morning, and we didn't see any sign of anyting else wrong. The water moccasins were always around the pond where the goats drank, so we thought that the goat might have been bitten in the throat, and when it swelled up, he could not breathe, and died.
    That was the only goat I ever lost that way, so if they had gotten bitten otherwise, I guess that they did survive it, and maybe you are right that they can handle the venom, unless they are bitten in a susceptable spot that kills them.
    I know that when I was bitten by the copperhead, I was sure miserable for a week or two afterwards, and my whole legs was swollen and stiff. I was bitten in the ankle. The ER doctor said that they didn't give anti-venom unless the bite was life-threatening, and they just gave me some antibiotics and sent me back home again.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Diane Lane and Frank Sanoica like this.