Senior Moments

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Richard Paradon, Mar 15, 2015.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just recalled one that happened to me here.

I had misplaced a small, thin utility knife that I keep in one of my kitchen drawers. I had looked and looked for it, and just wrote it off as being gone, perhaps to resurface as some point in the future. Someone (I think @Nancy Hart) was looking at drawer organizers, so I took a pic of my setup and was resizing it to upload. While I was messing with the pic on my laptop, I saw my utility knife...in the picture!! :rolleyes: It had slopped over from its regular compartment into the adjacent one, and was half-buried under large serving spoons and the big Land of the Giants salad fork. I guess I looked at all the stuff and my mind processed it as it should have been and not what was actually there.

I got up and went into the kitchen, and there my utility knife was...just like in the picture!

*sigh*

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox - my gears get stuck, that part I remember.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

They say that losing words is a sign of alzheimers. When I am on here I sometimes have to leave and go to a search engine to find a synonym or some word I can't remember.
    But then, I have been interchanging my kids' names since I have had more than one kid.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Really? I've had that issue for a while. I figured it was because I'm not working and not only use my vocabulary less, I only talk to other people when shopping or at medical appointments.

My mother had Alzheimer's and then dementia. It's really not a bad way to go for the patient...sort of nature's anesthesia. It sucks for those around them.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My doctor told me a few years ago that if a person forgets a word like "pencil," that's no problem. If they look at a pencil and have no idea what it is, things just got real.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

that is the way my brother started out. Could not identify clock settings :(

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.