Selling Montana To Canada To Solve National Debt?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

More than 7,000 sign petition to sell Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to pay down national debt. Many Montanans don't want to move to Canada, but would love it if their state was owned by them.

“MT resident here that will gladly join Canada. The US is a mess and POTUS is an embarrassment,” said another, referring to President Donald Trump and the current climate of unease gripping the nation.

And, there are folks that are saying "include Idaho". “Montana will make a beautiful addition to Canada. Let Michigan be next,” said another.

“Will save me the cost of moving to Canada,” wrote one commenter.

“MT resident here that will gladly join Canada. The US is a mess and POTUS is an embarrassment,” said another, referring to President Donald Trump and the current climate of unease gripping the nation.

“I have my reasons lol but I’ll just say Goodbye lol,” said another.

“Can Texas be sold too? Asking for a friend,” said one, and then there was, “Can Texas come too? Asking for Texas.”

“I’m wondering how New York can get in on this deal?” said someone from the Empire State.

Your thoughts?

Also from the Northeast: “Hey, throw Maine in there too and I’ll go stump for this idea!”

Then, here are some comments from folks in Canada:
    “I’m a Canadian and I think Montana ppl would be better off,” wrote another signer.

“I’m Canadian and we will take you,” said another.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Groan.........
    The whole thing was started as a joke by Reddit. Yeah, it gained a little traction but most of the comments I read have nothing to do with “this administration” but rather on the scarcity of Montanans and free medical but most Canadians know what free medical really means. It means, go to the U.S. if you need to be treated quickly.

The media is even using the article as a comedic break in their broadcasting so should anyone take it seriously?
    No. It’s satire, it’s humor and nothing more.

Besides, if we wish to get into the policial aspects, the people who promised to move to Canada should D. Trump get elected as president still have yet to make good on their promises and Trump has been in office over two years now,.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Bobby, it did start out as a joke, but just how far will this "joke" go? News media all over the U.S. are publishing the article about it.

Perhaps it will end up just like those that wanted to split California into three different states and that never went anywhere. Funny, the northern and central part of California doesn't want to have anything to do with the southern part. Of course, I know understand why, because I've been in all three parts.

Funny, some folks in Montana, obviously not the long-time locals, say Montana is worthless. I've been in Montana, like Bozeman and Billings. Definitely nice areas, but the long-time locals don't like outsiders moving in, unless they act like Montana folks.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

They're probably publishing it because they can't find any better news other than the Smollet stupidity.
    To find that there isn't anything newsworthy in the entire world other than some stuff that some addle brained commentators can dig up is rather distressing and in the end, extremely sad.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

True!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Why would Canada want to buy Montana and assume the burden of 5 billion plus dollars of debt?
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt-clocks/state-of-montana-debt-clock.html

Free medical paid for by taxes different from the kind of care I got when a referral was needed. For my complete cervical spine rebuild. It took 7 days from diagnosis to surgery. The surgery would have been the next day but for pain relief I had taken an NSAID [blood thinner] that complicates coagulation.

Depending on what province Montana would fall into that free care could be taken care of this way.

There is a great deal of variation in the total waiting time faced by patients across the provinces. Saskatchewan reports the shortest total wait (15.4 weeks), while New Brunswick reports the longest (45.1 weeks). There is also a great deal of variation among specialties. Patients wait longest between a GP referral and orthopaedic surgery (39.0 weeks), while those waiting for medical oncology begin treatment in 3.8 weeks.
    https://www.fraserinstitute.org/studies/waiting-your-turn-wait-times-for-health-care-in-canada-2018

Bobby Cole, Don Alaska and Tom Galty like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Trump won 56.2% of the vote in Montana.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The Montanans would also have to rid themselves of many of their guns, magazines, and especially handguns. It sounds like more liberal drivel to me.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

The estimated 2019 population in Montana is 1.07 million.

7000 or .007% of residents sign petition to sell Montana to Canada. Then manage to get a few negative comments. Really?

This is real news.

This is why people hate the Kardashians - Babe
    https://babe.net/2018/03/02/why-people-hate-the-kardashians-39091
    Mar 2, 2018 - Here are the arguments for Kardashian hate and why people think this way. ... view all 13,744 comments ... But really, the idea that mothers should take all of the responsibility for parenting (good or bad) is inherently sexist.