Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought they looked like a good solution. Amazon has several sizes and other shapes (square, rectangle, etc.) and these were a good price. ($36 ea) I had some rewards $$ so I only paid $20.21 for two of them! https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0BBYX2DD9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I only want to grow a few tomato plants, some cucumbers and a couple of pepper plants.

Don Alaska, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Those are a good solution. I've tried to make one out of lumber for asparagus, but it's impossible to find wood that will not leech all sorts of poisons into the soil.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Plus considering the price of lumber, these seem like a deal. Each one came with a pair of gloves, the sections of the planter, a silicone strip to put around the top edge, a bag of screws/nuts, and a couple of cheap little tools.

John Brunner and Faye Fox like this.
  4. John Brunner

I'm looking at getting a couple of them and making one long one. A single 2' long piece of 12" tall galvanized metal is $11, so barring a deal on finding used scrap, I could not make one for that price.

I like the inclusion of the gloves. No doubt their insurance guys had a hand in that.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well scope out Amazon's other offerings; they have a lot of different sizes. Some of the wider ones come with metal braces to help support the sides.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You could use cedar perhaps, or just use whatever you have and let it rot. Once asparagus is established, nothing will get to it.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

The problem is that what I have is pressure-treated. But I did not realize that the container was merely through its infancy. I have an old shed that needs to come down. It's weather beaten and has been there for decades, so if there was every any treatment or paint on it, it's long gone. I'll use those boards.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Wow. Tomorrow is my 5th anniversary on SoC. How time flies when you're wasting it on the internet!! Who would have guessed that this place would become a daily habit where I met and got to know a lot of great people. Sorry I'm a cranky know-it-all, but most of you seem to let me get away with it. :D

Yesterday some strange sounds woke me up. I lay there for a minute wondering what the heck I was hearing, then got up and walked to the bedroom door. Surprise!! A little brown bird flew past me and into the study. He had been squawking and making a racket in the window blinds. When I walked out into the hallway, he swooped downstairs and perched on the light fixture in the dining room.

I went downstairs and opened the front door wide, then circled through the kitchen to the dining room so I could "herd" him out. He was a fast learner... flew right to the door and out he went. We are still trying to figure out how the heck he got in here, and gingerly looking for any "surprises" he might have left. :D:D

I finally set up three Kratky Method quart mason jars with cherry tomato pods this morning, and I moved the curly parsley pod from the Aerogarden to a pint Kratky jar. Then I put one cherry tomato pod in the Aerogarden so I can compare Aerogarden to Kratky results. I'm not expecting much but it keeps me busy. I'm so tempted to start my outside raised beds, but I know very well that we usually have our coldest days in February so I need to be patient.

I have had really good luck with the lettuce in the Aerogarden. I have "harvested" lettuce leaves twice and it's barely been 3 weeks since those were started. I'm going to buy more lettuce but I'm going to use the do-it-yourself method with seeds since Aerogarden pods are pricey.

We have finally rescheduled our holiday trip to my youngest son's house near Bastrop TX for Saturday the 21st. His family had Covid the last week of December so they are finally getting back to normal.

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Wishing you a happy and stress-free 5th SOC anniversary tomorrow. I am jumping the gun because my internet was out for 4 hours yesterday and came back on just to go out 6 hours today. It was a widespread outage and I am not trusting it to be up tommorrow.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I probably should put this in one of the Amazon threads, because it's good information. For the past several years I have used Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) to make charitable contributions that are paid by Amazon based on the amount of purchases I make. One year I designated contributions to the American Cancer Society, and other years I designated the Humane Society or the Houston Animal Shelter. It's a nice way to be able to contribute without actually paying anything to do so, which is a nice perk of shopping with Amazon.

This year I noticed that I can designate the IBC Network Foundation based in Sealy TX. As most of you know, I had IBC breast cancer which is rare and doesn't get a lot of research dollars due to the relatively small number of IBC patients (thankfully). Anyway, I switched my Amazon Smile donations to the foundation immediately because every little bit helps.

Last year my contributions to the Houston Humane Society were a bit over $60 and cost me nothing. So if you have a mind to, search for Amazon Smile and select a worthy charity. It won't cost you a dime; just be sure to always access Amazon via smile.amazon.com when shopping so that your purchases will be automatically calculated.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sometimes I annoy myself. Yesterday I was reading the back of a packet of lettuce seeds, thinking about making DIY Aerogarden "pods." So today I decided to try a couple and what the hell... I can't find those seeds anywhere. I have torn up the house and even emptied out the yucky kitchen garbage to go through it and NO seeds. :mad: I'm sure I'll find them in the freezer or someplace weird in a couple of weeks..after I order some more.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Good grief. I bought several packages of meat in my grocery order, and pulled them out of the fridge after dinner to separate for putting into freezer bags. Stuck to the bottom of a package of ground chuck was the packet of lettuce seeds. o_O

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I was going to suggest looking under your tablet. I have two packets under mine. Probably no good because of the heat. Yours are probably still good.;)

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I ordered some larger jars for my Kratky experiments; a couple of gallon size and a couple of half-gallon. I also ordered a couple more quart jars but they arrived broken; I cut my finger trying to unwrap them.

I was checking my little cherry tomato seeds; this is day 6 and they are all sprouted (3 in jars and 1 in the aerogarden.) I might need to lower the grow light over the Kratky jars; the little sprouts in them seem a bit more "leggy" than the Aerogarden...

Kratky:

IMG_1812.jpg

Aerogarden:

IMG_1816(1).jpg

I've had such good luck with basil and lettuce that I ordered more seeds this morning... more types of lettuce, spinach, and kale. I don't plan to plant them all at once, but will stagger and rotate the "crops." :D

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh no, that lettuce is no longer considered pure vegan. :(

Don Alaska likes this.