School Subjects

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Patsy Faye, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

What was your favourite ?
    What was your least favourite ?

My favourite was English (don't laugh) :p
    I don't mean speaking proper, but I liked to write
    My least favourite was History - all them kings and queens got me down :(
    Still not interested in them neither .......
    So, what's yours ? :)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Well-Known Member
    Registered

Mine was English and history. Also liked cooking.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

History, English, and Home Economics. :)
    Could not stand Chemistry or Algebra! o_O

4. Patsy Faye

Registered

What didn't you like Babs ?

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

See my edited post Patsy. :)

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh - didn't have Chemistry
    Boys had that, we had sewing, which I liked :)

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I also really liked Art and Drama Classes. :) Did not like Speech class though. The first day of class I had to get up and just give my name and address to the class. I dropped that class that day. I have never been one to be able to get up in front of everyone and speak....except like on this Forum.

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh yes Drama - didn't do enough of that for me, but then I went to so many schools :p
    I would have liked Art - but I can't get to grips with it at all

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

In Drama class I had got to play a starring role in a Play we performed. I was Dr. World. Everyone congratulated me on what a fine job I did...but to this day I still don't remember saying a word while I was on stage.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Probably nerves
    How old was you ?
    We did a West Side Story dance routine - suited me, loved it :)
    I also played a witch - I cackled very well and I remember me time on stage :p

Babs Hunt likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

16 probably. I read later that some actors/actresses got into their roles so intimately that they actually became that person they were playing while they were performing. They lost theirselves in the role in other words. I think that is what happened to me. :)

I took a class once on Modern Dance....and I really got in to that one. We had to make up our own modern dance and perform it for our final grade....and I felt I was in my element doing that. Dancing was one of my favorite forms of exercising and if my Honey didn't have to left feet in this area we might have been able to try ballroom dancing, etc. now. :)

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

Same here - dancing was my skill too :)

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I liked English, and especially when we were learning all of the Greek and Latin roots, prefixes and suffixes. It was like dissecting a word and you could get a good basic idea of that most words initially meant once you learned the root word they came from. Since I loved reading, understanding words was an important thing, and then being able to spell them correctly was necessary, too, since that was how we got the root words right.
    My favorite class would have been art class. I loved to draw, and was always doodling on my schoolwork papers, often to the dismay of the teachers.
    We did leatherwork in art class, and I hand-tooled and stained a bridle and breast collar for my horse, which I had for many years afterwards.
    My poorest subject was math, and I still hate anything to do with numbers or book work of any kind. I wanted to learn chemistry, but didn't do well in that class either.
    History was interesting except we had to learn all of those dates, none of which have ever made much difference in my life since school. Now, I do like reading historical fiction, or non-fiction, and learning more about history.
    Drama and me were a bad mix. Stand me up in front of the class, and I couldn't even say my name. I was one of those kids who stayed home "sick" on oral book report days, I hated it so bad. Even walking to the front desk to give the teacher my lunch money was hard for me.
    And forget the dancing stuff ! I have never had good balance, let alone been a dancer. You girls who can do that are so lucky .

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

French and Spanish my favorites.

Chemistry, geometry and physics my least favorite.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  15. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hands down, Mechanical Drafting was my favorite.

[​IMG]
    Liked any Science class.

Least favorite was Art ( can't draw freehand )

Patsy Faye likes this.
  16. Denise Happyfeet

Denise Happyfeet Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Partying, boys, clothing, boys, rock-n-roll, boys, burgers and fries, boys.

Now when I grew up after age 50ish, and went back to a community college, I found out I could actually get good grades. For some reason, I thought I couldn't growing up, so I didn't try very hard. Barely got by. But my fave subjects were, in this order:

Math
    English Composition
    and building websites (loved that but Math, truly my fave)

Oops, forgot to put "least fave class in school", that would be Detention. That was a class right:confused:

17. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Chrissy Cross - would have liked to learn a language but my teacher was yuk !

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  18. Patsy Faye

Registered

Denise Happyfeet likes this.
  19. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I went to a Dance school...and my favourite of course was Dance..but that aside..I was very good at and enjoyed English, Social studies, and Music ( I played the cello) and Drama (always top of the class in those subjects )

I hated geography more because the teacher was boring....although I love it now ..I disliked Physics with a passion...wasn't all that keen on Chemistry (science was not my forte)...not keen on arts because it was painting and I was never any good at it..

I loved business economics .. disliked Maths but always got a pass mark...

In my school, the cleverer kids got very little periods of Homecrafts...whereas the less bright children got much more and very little academic lessons.. concentrating more on their manual abilities ...so girls would get lots of sewing and cooking, and boys would get lots of technical drawing, and motor mechanics etc.

ironically all of the latter far more useful in the real world than what we so called more academic kids were taught'

I hated French...absolutely hated it. I think again it was due to the lack of ability in my french teacher..and not me.

20. Patsy Faye

Registered

My French teacher was 'wicked' and I don't mean good :p
    It seemed to me the language was back to front anyway - no not for me :rolleyes:

21. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In my case, I was more or less reclusive early on in high school, that resulting from the appearance of my 2nd.-degree burned face. Did the homework, not diligently though, advisors stuck me in "college prep" curriculum, based on what, I don't know.

In 8th. grade they administered something called the "Kuder Occupational Test", which determined career leanings based on answers to rather psychological questions ("Would you rather earn a living picking fruit or making tires?"). Categories were something like Careers Outdoors, Scientific, Humanities, Geographical, History, etc. I ranked poorest in Humanities, Highest in Outdoors and Science. Sure, enough!

Freshman year: Biology, Algebra I, English
    Sophomore year: Physics, Plane Geometry, English, German
    Junior year: Algebra II, Chemistry, English
    Senior year: Trigonometry, College Algebra, English

I got A's when I worked at it, mostly B's, a few C's, straight A's in English until 2nd. semester Senior Year, all F's! Long story there, not appropriate right now. Failed to graduate with my class. Attended an additional semester next school year, 4 courses req'd though I needed only the English, so took that, Machine Shop, Psychology I, 4th. one I forget. All A's; they mailed my Diploma around New Years.

Favorites? All Math, Physics, Chem.
    Frank

Patsy Faye likes this.
  22. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Favorites: History, English
    Least Favorites: Anything math related

Patsy Faye likes this.
  23. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

My Spanish teacher was a Spanish woman named Mrs. St. Julian and I loved the way she spoke the language...it sounded so romantic to the 16 year old I was at the time. I wanted to learn that language just because of how beautiful she made it sound...but I couldn't even get my tongue to roll the r's for my own name in Spanish. To this day I can count to 10 in Spanish, say hello to you and ask you where your house is, etc. The problem would be understanding your answers to me. :)

24. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt
    I was pushed into taking a foreign language, the claim being one needed it for college entrance. Stupid, to me, implying the 2nd. language would be used in college??

Spanish was widely mentioned clandestinely as the "easiest" to learn. How I got German, I dunno. Turned out, Spanish would have been VERY appropriate because of the many years I spent later in the Southwest, where many street names, even, are Spanish-influenced.

Anyhoo, during my years working for Sears, travelling the various Hispanic-rooted small cities, my co-worker and friend, Greg Sanchez, who unfailingly was present during those travels to Farmington, NM, (he lived there all his life), Albuquerque, Roswell, Las Cruces, El Paso, he coached me in Spanish heritage. His folks had a farm during the Great Depression, raised most of their own food. They had emigrated from Spain, and Greg despised the way typical "Mexican" folk bastardized the Spanish Language. Once, driving I-40, west of Albuquerque, we approached a bridge proclaiming "Rio Puerco". Greg said, look at that example of what I mean. "Puerco" in dialectic Mexican-American Spanish is dubbed to mean "Pork", therefore "Pig River". "Puerco" to Greg meant "Dirty".

Haven't heard from Greg in years. I liked him as though I would a brother, had I one. He was 100%, in my book.
    Frank

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    Babs Hunt likes this.
  25. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Babs Hunt - agree on the Spanish - how I wish I'd learnt Italian, such a beautiful language and so romantico :)

Chrissy Cross and Babs Hunt like this.