Roundabouts?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Ann George, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It's true tho Kitty. I have friends who are from not only just the Uk but places like Norway and Sweden and Germany, who have migrated or spend half the year in the USA for business or pleasure ..and much as they love the US... they all tell me about the different things that the USA are still using that we moved on from many years ago..:D

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kitty Carmel
    The two intersections designated for roundabouts are both set up with traffic-controlled lights. The main highway intersects what are basically residential streets, thus the highway consumes much of the time with green lights, and the residential streets will remain red for long periods of time, unless a vehicle is present at the red light.

You are absolutely correct about the unsafe driving habits. In addition to speeding, there seems to be a fairly widespread incidence of ego-driven actions. For example, if a light ahead turns red in the distance, while I am still perhaps 1/4 mile from it, the idiot on my rear bumper will often pass me, cut back in front of me, then have to brake hard to stop for the light, which may have cars already stopped for it. Thus, he gains 2 things, neither of which make sense: he gains one car length ahead AND he gets to stop first! Thus, he has "gotten over on me", clearly the action bordering on moronic.

I wonder if European drivers experience another phenomenon which likely originated here: Road Rage?
    Frank

3. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica Frank, I'm convinced that idiot driver you describe also lives in my town! They seem to be everywhere. Gunning the engine, passing, cutting in front of others, only to meet them at the next light or on occasion they make it though the light while I get the red. I'm sure they made it to their destination a minute faster and it was all worth it.

I don't think most who drive this way will ever change or learn. I certainly don't engage in road rage and the only way I would use my horn is to avoid a collision, not as retaliation. You never know what someone can do.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Ann George

Ann George Veteran Member
    Registered

@Kitty Carmel

NO, you never do know what someone can do!
    I was dumbfounded when I heard on the news this past summer of a "road rage" incident here in Ontario, Canada, that involved two seniors. Apparently a 65 year old pick-up truck driver got in an argument with a 74 year old cyclist. Things then escalated and subsequently the driver was charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon (a bat).

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ann George
    Elderly men acting like children. Good thing he did not have a gun, eh?
    Frank[/USER]

6. Ann George

Ann George Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica

Yes, their behaviour definitely leaves a lot to be desired! I was relieved to learn that a gun was not involved in this incident, TG Bottom line is that we, as drivers, need to be more vigilant than ever before in order to try and stay safe in this crazy world.