Remember The Drive In Theatre?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Marie Mallery, May 5, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Caitlin D Burnside likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Registered

Songs we heard waiting for movie to start.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We had one near Bangor for the past several years but it will not be reopening for the 2022 season. Apparently, Maine regulatory authorities determined that sitting in your own car at a drive-in movie theater would spread Covid so they did not allow them to open during the years of the Dr. Fauci virus, and placed so many limitations on them when they were allowed to reopen, such as not being able to operate the concession. Like many other Maine businesses, they were unable to ride out the craziness.

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

One owner told us that the majority of their funds came from the concession stand. We went to the drive in in 2019,it was fun just to reminisce. Although we did bring our food and drinks we still bought from concession stand ,lots of candy, popcorn to keep them open. Lots of people were there families with kids.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Last movie we watched at drive in was this one. A true story about couple who adopted kids,

7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My mom would always pop lots of popcorn and make a jug of Kool-Aid. Buy stuff from the concession stand? Not my frugal mother....

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We had one when I was young, and there was one in North Carolina when we had 4 small children and a large van. No VCRs or such then, but the kids would watch until they fell asleep. We also generally took our own snacks

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Mary and Don we use to bring our own too but the man at the booth said movies cost so much now that the concession stand is only way they make money. Only cost $6 each to get in so we just paid for the snacks and took them home. I'd like to go backl it was fun.
    But you bet we took our own snacks too in the good ol days.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

The drivein was a great place to meet boys back in the 60's. Car full of girls parks next to a car full of guys....... Woo-hoo, if you're lucky,, you have a date on Saturday!

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

That too of course.

12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

South Australia’s last drive in that survived for 65 years has just closed in February , it’s a shame it was a cheap night out for many family’s .
    It’s grounds were used for many years each Sunday for a all sorts market we call trash and treasure.

I’m not sure if the T&T has had to go elsewhere or if they are still permitted to use the grounds
    https://playandgo.com.au/wallis-mainline-drive-in-our-last-summer-memories-that-remain/

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  13. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My first movie at a drive in was"Angel on my shoulder" First fate with my future wife ws at a drive in bu don't remember name of picture

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  14. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My second date with my late husband was at a drive-in. I hated both of the movies, but it didn't really matter as he was a good kisser.

It must have been magical because we never had a third date......we got married instead.

15. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

A drive-in only a few miles away reopened after the new owner felt there was still an interest. Apparently there still is because this is his third year. He did away with the speakers and now broadcasts the audio which you pick up on your car radio. He got a new projector too since reel to reel movies were things of the past. He also rents space for events.

I remember back in the day when they would have $1.00 a carload at times. When it was full price per person we would put someone in the trunk so they would not have to pay. Of course it was also the passion pit. Movie...what movie?