Rapid Increase In Arthritic Pain

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Having had shoulder pain, not severe but acceptable, for years now, I am dismayed that it has turned far more severe over a fairly short time, this becoming noticeable about two weeks ago. The right side is far worse than the left. Consequently, since my "hunt & peck" typing is done with the right hand, it has become nearly excruciatingly painful to hold my elbow suspended to allow typing. So, my efforts here may become limited.

I never realized the absolute importance of shoulder use in everyday activities before. Holding the arms up while grasping the steering wheel, for example, has become a painful chore. I have taken Ibuprofen to no avail. Of course, my wife urges me daily to go to the Dr. And, of course, I resist stubbornly, as expected.

I cling to the belief that, since healing must come from within in any event, if pain can worsen on it's own, it should be possible to lessen on it's own.

Shouldn't it? :(
    Frank

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Like all thing that need fixing you have to get the parts needed to fix it. If it is arthritis than you probably need cartilage because that is the part in a joint that seems to wear out. pure gelatin is cartilage eat lots of gelatin and keep the joint moving so your body can rebuild it. Also DMSO will penetrate and give relief of pain it is like MSM which is a lubricant for the joint. Have fun

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica, I've written a Thread and replies to this dealing with my own arthritis pain, which my wife gets some as well. My arthritis comes in areas I've had surgeries on. On a daily basis, I have to take an 800mg dose of ibuprofen (not Motrin, but a prescription from the VA) and sometimes two doses. Also rub some Topricin Cream for arthritis and joint pain on my shoulders, but that doesn't last as long as the ibuprofen does. Sometimes it can depend on the weather and other times the arthritis pain just shows up. Mine isn't really bad, but more of the achy/nagging type.

I ordered a bottle of Undenatured Collagen Type 2, which is specifically for arthritis problems. Currently I'm taking Glucosamine Sulfate 3x daily, but will stop that when my Collagen comes in.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    That's an awful lot of Ibuprofen, Cody! Do you consider the risk of severe stomach-lining bleeding to be overshadowed by the pain relief. That's what concerns me about the NSAIDS, most all (with a few exceptions) of the OTC drugs are indeed NSAIDS.

I have not been able to relate any differences in daily pain to weather, daily activity, etc. The pain was always "achy/nagging" in nature, for years, but became nearly intolerable just a few weeks ago. The juncture of my collar bone with the shoulder joint seems involved, sending pain downwards in the upper-arm also.

Last night I ordered a Glucosamine/Chondroitin mix, Turmeric, and Curcumin tablets; I don't expect quick relief, maybe none at all, but this stuff is not expensive. Another recommended herb, Shallaki, a product from some Himalayan bush or tree, has been clinically-evaluated, but costs 5-10 times as much. There are quite a number of such far-fetched herbals recommended, chiefly by those seeking to make a buck, I fear.
    Frank

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

You know @Frank Sanoica it just might be that your problem is not arthritis but something else entirely and the only way you can find out what the problem really is if you stop being stubborn and go to the Doctor.

6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

@Frank Sanoica, have to agree with Babs about this. Please see a doctor and I'm going to do the same. I don't want this pain, or to continue battling it, on a daily basis for the rest of my life. But, if I have to, I'll just have to accept it.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Guess I've been lucky so far and it hasn't upset my stomach or done anything to it. I've been taking an 800mg ibruprofen almost daily since Sept 2015. My VA doctor did give me a prescription of 50mg Tramadol to take every-other day. Thing is, most of the time, like the ibruprofen, the Tramadol doesn't last me 24 hours. This is why I'm going to get another evaluation of the shoulder MRI from last July (or a new MRI).

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    What did the MRI evaluation reveal? Did the interpretors define a likely cause? It seems we always wind up being checked and evaluated more than once or twice, as though they really are practicing......
    Frank

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    Stupid of me to not think of this sooner. How long have you had shoulder pain, Cody? Long time, of a minor nature, then worsened? Would like to compare with my own experience, pain for years, but not disabling, just annoying. Only began to worsen quickly several weeks ago.
    Frank

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Will try to make this short, but...........
    First, My latest MRI was done in July 2016 AFTER I had rotator cuff surgery done in March 2015. In August 2015, I got FROM (full range of motion) back in the shoulder and it seemed to be fine. In Oct, I was having the daily achy/nagging pain in the shoulder and my surgeon told me that it could take up to a year for the shoulder to completely heal. Remember, I had FROM in the shoulder, so really didn't understand the pain I was getting. Perhaps being a Diabetic II was delaying some of the healing process. So, kept taking the ibuprofen, as my surgeon told me to. Pain didn't go away, so in June 2016 had my surgeon set me up for an MRI on the shoulder.

MRI results were this:
    Abnormal T2 signal in the MRI denoted some type of tear in a tendon. It was a 20% (very small) thickness tear measuring 8mm (or 5/16 of an inch........pretty small. (IOW, people can have this small of a tear and not even know it. Reaching behind you to the back seat, while sitting in the front seat of a vehicle, can give a person a tear this small.)
    MRI said that I have some mild AC arthropathy (AC Joint Arthritis). Other than the very small tear, no full-thickness tear noted.

Thing is, a small tear, like the one I have, can eventually get bigger and turn into a full tear. That is, depending on how much I use the shoulder. My wife doesn't allow me to lift/carry cases of water that we buy. She does it.

So, there it is, @Frank Sanoica.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The pain has been pretty much the achy/nagging type since Oct. 2015. Mine, like yours, is more annoying, than anything serious. Hasn't worsened, but there are days that it can be a little more painful than other days.

Really, Frank, the only way to tell what is going on is to get both an x-ray and an MRI. X-ray will show the bones, while the MRI will show muscle and tendon problems, if any.

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh "Really, Frank, the only way to tell what is going on is to get both an x-ray and an MRI. X-ray will show the bones, while the MRI will show muscle and tendon problems, if any."

I know you are right. Being a procrastinator as well as a pessimist combines to always drag me down. Surely, I appreciate the advice, as well as the information regarding your personal difficulties.
    Frank

14. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi - I just wanted to pop in here to say that I think you should keep taking the Glucosamine along with the Collagen, if you can. I take both, as well as Turmeric/Curcumin, and the combination is working very well.

Best wishes. A

PS Milk Thistle tablets would help protect your liver from your prescription pain tablets; worth considering.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Augusta Heathbourne "Milk Thistle tablets would help protect your liver....."

Milk Thistle contains Silymarin (sounds silly!), which numerous studies have shown to aid the liver in regenerating itself. No official acceptance by health agencies, though. No surprise, there.
    Frank