Product Reviews

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ed Wilson, Dec 17, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't understand. That mushroom looks like it's an appliqué. I guess you gotta eat it (or smoke it) to think that dress is "stylish."

And why are they all of a sudden pushing unhealthy lifestyles? If my doctor mentions my A1C or my cholesterol numbers at my next checkup, I'm gonna threaten him with hate speech charges.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I often read and post detailed reviews of products and services. I'm sure some companies will post a negative review of a competing product or service, so I will read many reviews before purchasing or using a service.
    I've found that reviews are taken seriously by companies & sometimes reviews keep people honest. When getting estimates for remodeling or repair, I let companies know I will be posting a review that can either help them or hurt them, depending on the quality of the job.

Four years ago, I had two central air conditioning units replaced. The owner told me he would appreciate a review. I said, "Fine, but I better be happy with the job, or you won't be happy with the review." The day after the job was complete, the air conditioners stopped working. The problem was that the workers used the existing underground electrical cable that was 45 years old & rusted, instead of using a new cable. On a $30,000.00 job, they wanted to save $300.00 by not replacing the cable that ran from the indoor unit in the basement to the outdoor unit. I phoned the owner & let him know exactly how I felt & also said I was working on a detailed review. He started praying on the phone. I said, "Praying won't help you." He begged me not to post a review & he sent a crew the next day at 7:00 am & they replaced the cable & also encased it in rodent-proof & weatherproof tubing. He also gave me free yearly service & filter replacements.

I had a new roof put on my house last year. The roofing company did a good job but they overcharged me by exaggerating how much wood was replaced. The workers didn't know I was able to watch how much wood was carried up to the roof from my third-story window. After I posted a review, the owner phoned me & was very upset & he refunded me a few thousand dollars.

A few years ago, I had a tree service remove a tree & trim some overgrown bushes around the property. The company manager & I agreed on a price. After the tree was cut down, the owner tried to charge me $500.00 extra for trimming the bushes. He knew everything was spelled out on the contract & I warned him he would regret it. He didn't believe me. I posted a detailed review, describing their dishonesty & greed & he phoned me & sent a crew to trim the bushes we agreed on.

Ken Anderson and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I generally read reviews before I decide to buy something, too. Usually, it's easy to spot the ones that are probably paid advertisements, as well as those from people who don't know what they're talking about. I don't rely too much on ratings because, a lot of times, people will rate a product low because the postal service took too long to deliver it, or it was damaged in transit, or other reasons having little or nothing to do with the product.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Yup. On the other end of the scale I've seen 5 Star reviews that say "I just ordered it for my sister's birthday and I'm sure she's gonna love it." A friend got a text message on his way home from Lowes asking him to rate the product he just picked up!

I've found that the 3 star ratings are often beneficial, since they tend to be balanced and focus on the product.

Ken Anderson likes this.