Produce Cost Consciousness

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

99-cent Store today, put off going for awhile, it's only 4 miles away, but fridge is bursting at the seams.....here's a few examples to compare prices with those of other stores. If you have one nearby, and haven't looked, check it out; we found out about them by pure chance when my wife was at a health clinic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stuff was all fresh and not sub-par in any way; in fact those huge cauliflower would command top price at our other big stores here. My wife bought two, one will be used portion-wise daily, the other "riced" and frozen.

If cost of food is tantamount for you as with us, this place is hard to beat! Most is product of U.S.A., some is Mexico. Frank

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a 99 cent store about 6 miles from me but I never seem to get around to going there. They have produce.

Food is something I don't save on...one of my luxuries. Doesn't mean I'll spend a ridiculous amount on something, just means I don't care about saving .50 or a dollar.

But that asparagus is tempting!! That's an awesome price!,

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Whenever we would come home from the supermarket with fresh farm produce, my husband would always remark on the prices. It's not because it is expensive but the opposite. The usual question is this - how much does the farmer get from this vegetable? A head of broccoli costs 50 pesos, just slightly over a dollar, the same with cauliflower. A piece of cucumber is less than 10 pesos or just about 20 cents.

And I have to agree with my husband's question because I know that traders get the most profit from the merchandise. Taking the broccoli with that 50 pesos as selling price, the supermarket may have bought that for 30 pesos from the trader and the trader would sell it for 30 pesos because he bought it from the farm for only 10 pesos. So that leaves the farmer with a net of 10 pesos for that head of broccoli that he cultivated and tended for several months. Maybe that's the primary reason why farmers here are dirt poor.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I know agriculture is big in CA. Most of the people that have money here are in AG.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page "But that asparagus is tempting!! That's an awesome price!,"

Four bucks a pound at the big Safeway, today, $0.50.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, even in CA. At my cheapest supermarket I've not seen it less than $1.99 a bunch.

I love it! It's also very good for dieting as a snack. Dip them in some low cal dip.

7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a 36 foot bed of asparagus and mine is twice as big as that skinny stuff in your picture. We don't have stores like that around here.
    I agree with Chrissy on food. I'll buy the less expensive if the quality is the same but I'll pay what I have to to get what I want.
    On the rare occasions when I order pizza for example, I pay no attention to special offers, I order what I want the way I want it whatever the cost.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I try to buy most of my produce at a local store which may not have the freshest stuff around, but boy they sure have the best prices around. I got 3 large tomatoes for .70 the other day. I have gotten large pieces of watermelon for about the same price. They are a buyout kind of store so generally you are getting overstocks from other stores, but I don't care. The price is right, so I buy most of my produce there. It is cheaper than farmer's markets by far. Farmer's Markets except for rare exceptions are not cheaper than supermarkets on most things.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I agree about Farmers markets not being cheaper. Especially the organized ones that have a lot if other things going on.