Prescription Pain Killers

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Janine: if you can find it within your means, Prolotherapy or PRP Injections COULD do a job for you, avoid steroird s/e's and major surgery. I've had Prolo injections in shoulder over 10 yrs ago and also in recent years Prolo in my messed up right knee, which is a result of hip replacement... Prolo work is out of pocket///it works so insurance won't pay...insurance pays for work that damages us...

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've removed the link but I can't get into my Admin account from this computer. I changed my PW and keep forgetting to add it to this one. I'm afraid to sync them because the last time I tried to sync my two computers and my iPhone, I ended up with every photo I've ever taken on all three devices, which was a major problem. Anyone, I'll take care of it when I get home tomorrow. I left the post in because it was replied to. Had he taken the time to make a few actual posts, I'd have probably let his link live.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My 87 year old MIL has a cortisone shot in her hip every 6 months or so. They are miraculous for her but don't seem to work for everyone. So far I don't need them, but if I ever do then I won't hesitate.

Janine Coral likes this.
  4. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is interesting the variety of treatments for so many conditions. I know of just two people personally who had the PRP injections.
    They could afford financially.

You had Prolo injections in your shoulder and also your right knee, that is great if they have helped.

I have Osteoporosis and some wear and tear on my joints from past strains, sprains, and related things and
    just perhaps old age, 69 is old isn't it ;) I say with a grin lightheartedly...

Anyway this old gal presses on ....

5. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Beth I think that so wonderful and that for your MIL, the injection shots are very helpful.
    Yes, for sure, what works for one, will not for another. Hip every 6 months, that is what
    my Orthopedic doctor allows me also. I can't have them at my whim so to say, just when
    appropriately scheduled for the 6 month intervals, then we discuss, evaluate and consider.
    Have mine done in a hospital setting, takes about 30 min in and out and by a qualified
    radiologist who tracks the injection as it is going into the joint. I get to watch it on the
    overhead camera, or whatever it is called, so I like that.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My late mother did the Prolo therapy on her knees. It cost a lot of moolah and didn't help her. She was the only person I know personally who had it done, so I can't really say much about it.

7. Joy Martin

Registered

Janine, 69 isn't old...getting into 80's is OLD er.

Like everything what works for one may not for another. I often regret the hip replaceent...changed my life for the Worst....

My 81 yr brother just succumbed to a hip replacement....just a month ago and he's got a long road ahead of him and he knows that.....

8. Joy Martin

Registered

I follow an MD here who has been doing and teaching Prolo at UCLA for about 25 yrs and there are some factors where Prolo may not work for some:

The doctor does NOT use an ultrasound machine to make sure the injections_ are going to the right place.

The doc does NOT do 6 or so injections at the area when he has the patient, some docs do one injectionn and that is not enough to be beneficial.

Many providers of this work, know little about this work. Those who go into it, have goals of fast money.

Mary, makes me wonder about the experience of your mother's doc.