Power Steering / Power Brakes

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How many of you remember the first time you tried to drive a car with power steering and power brakes? That sure took some getting used to, but now it's been so long since I've driven a car without power steering and power brakes that going back to an old-model car would probably be a shock.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson

I did just that not too long ago, and the really shocking thing was that I learned much of the muscular power I once took for granted, simply ain't there anymore!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have learned to drive 3 years ago so you can guess that I have been using power steering and power brakes all the time. But my husband had told me the story when the first time he used a car with power steering. That was when he went to California. His uncle's Mustang was assigned as his service. The steering wheel was so light that it was difficult to make a steady run as if the car is weaving. His cousin taught him the trick to hold the steering wheel with 2 fingers only. Holding the steering wheel with all fingers of both hands would really make it shaky. Well, he said that the trick worked.

Our old car which we sold 3 years ago is not power steering. I tried to learn driving with that car but I failed the mark when I hit our gate, huh, sorry. I don't remember much but what I remember is when my husband would be maneuvering the car to face the opposite direction, it gives him a hard time with the steering wheel.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

The first vehicle I ever drove was a Ford 'A' 1 ton truck. Dad was trying to teach me when I was about 7 years old. A year later I was driving an old Case on a regular basis. Fun days. Just like the one below.
    th (10).jpeg

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My dad had a large tractor that I never used, and don't remember what it was, but he also had a small Ford tractor that I used often. I liked that little tractor.

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. I think I really should get around to getting a driver's license...
    When I was in high school, my father bought a Pinto- didn't keep it very long, he didn't like it either- but it was the only vehicle I've ever driven that had power steering/power brakes.
    I guess that means I'm a little out of touch, huh? :eek:

I remember my oldest brother's first experience with power steering/brakes, though- he tried to drive other brother's car, and nearly put both himself and me through the windshield.

Frank Sanoica likes this.