Power Outage Prep - Hand Crank Devices

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Sam Calabria, Sep 22, 2023.

1. Sam Calabria

Sam Calabria Well-Known Member
    Registered

Many devices on the market now that will offer a hand crank to generate electricity.

They have radios.

We have a multi-function one...it will jump start a car, charge a cell phone...all kinds of things.

You can charge it (takes 24 hours) or use the hand crank to develop electricity without an outlet.

one article from Popular Mechanics:

Turns Out, Hand-Crank Chargers Don't Have to Be Ugly
    It's an emergency gadget you wouldn't be embarrassed to keep on your desk.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a24884087/nendo-hand-crank-charger-good-design/

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought a hand crank radio with a little solar cell, from amazon. It did not work well.
    In an emergency, for us, heat and water would be the major concerns. I have them pretty well covered. But remember, if an emergency strikes you can shut down your water heater and there you will have 30 gallons for the time.o_O

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a couple of the hand crank radio/light combinations. I also have one of these (link) and a couple rechargeable lights for it.

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2-plus

4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought a little hand crank (more like pump) flashlight once, because I never had batteries. It wasn't very good. Too much work to keep it going.

And a bicycle headlight that cranked by friction off the wheels. Went dark as soon as you stopped.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

We are all (apart from a few self sufficient types) very much reliant upon the 'modern conveniences' of water, hydro, fuel & heat and now even communications arriving on our doorstep with little or no input from us other than paying the monthly bills. When the power goes out or a more widespread disaster hits many of us are less prepared and a few minutes spent in thinking ahead can save a great deal of problems when such things happen.

Here out in the country I have learned over the years what I must do and those back ups I must have in place to not be left wondering how to manage at these times.

The loss of hydro is obviously one of the major concerns, whilst loss of light is 'annoying' it is hardly a major problem with the advent of LED lanterns (and hand crank charging) that last for hours (when fully charged ) so the next thing on the list is for most of us (in rural areas) is water. The big one here is the amount of water required to flush the toilet, without that 20 gallons or so can last for days for cooking, an old fashioned outhouse out back comes in very useful at this point! This said if you have no power to the well pump and dont have a few gallons stored on jugs in the basement you are in trouble unless your stand by generator is capable of running (and hooked up to) said pump. Next up heat..... the coldest night of the year will invariably be when a major snow storm shuts down everything and all you can do is hunker down a await the roads to be cleared and systems to be restored and staying warm is one of the most important issues.
    As I age I am less inclined to be heating with wood with all the manual labour that it entails but the propane furnace requires power so I make sure I have that covered with that back up generator (and fuel for it) and making sure I always have a supply of wood out in the shed 'just in case'. And yes, I have battery back up for internet connection so I know what the H is going on....

I am far from being 'self sufficient' but think I have my arse covered in most cases and thus far have rarely had to use that option but I fear that between climate and political concerns that option may be needed more in the future. What say you?

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We live on a small lake, so flushing the toilet will involve cutting a hole in the ice and dipping water. Using an outhouse at -40 isn't pleasant in the dark. In the bush we went by the motto, "If it's yellow, let it mellow, but if it's brown, flush it down". We actually had flush toilets there, but many did not and used "Honey Buckets" rather than outhouses, as outhouses don't do well on permafrost.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Registered

You have one flush; use it wisely. We have had a few episodes of no power and even after only one nite, what was in the toilet was not pleasant, odor wise.
    I have plans for most everything; including toilet. Hubby does not like the stress of thinking about things.
    If we drain down the house, there is a pond at the farm but taking an ax to it in freezing weather is not my idea of a good time. I bought an antique 'thunder mug' as a joke for a second bathroom for the barnhouse, although a plastic bucket is wiser.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Whether using the toilet or a bucket, you can use RV toilet stuff, or simply toilet cleaner to reduce odors if needed. You can also buy seats designed for use with plastic buckets if you want. The "solar shower" devices designed for campers can be used with heated water from the wood or gas stove if needed for longer-term hygiene as well.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

I was going to get a couple of bales of peat moss and lime. That is what we use for a waterless toilet. Then, at our convenience we can put it on mulch pile.

Don Alaska likes this.