Pet Health

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Martin Alonzo, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Do your animals need vaccines ?? It seem cancer was very rare in pets before or unvaccinated pets.
    Dr. Becker: Are Vaccinations Necessary for Pets?

Yvonne Smith and Krystal Shay like this.
  2. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

everyone will have a different opinion about this...
    Our last 2 little dogs...lived to be 17 and 15 years old....
    we did not vax or put flea drops on them...nor heartworm treatments....
    not even rabies shots..inside dogs ...
    they went on long hikes with us and outings

3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I often wondered about vaccinating our dogs, but we did to comply with county laws. Also we traveled a lot in our RV and wanted to make sure our dogs were safe from rabies or whatever. Our last 2 little dogs had skin allergies and I always wondered why on earth so many pets have allergies now. Almost everyone I know is having their dog/cat treated for itching allergies.

When I was a kid, my dad gave our pets their rabies shots and after that they lived outside and ate tablescraps, and were healthy. Now pets are pampered, live inside in climate-controlled homes, and suffer with various allergies. Makes a person wonder.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Radar the Wonder dog will be 13 or 14 in August. He has had rabies shot, but only because it is mandatory in the apts. to live here. The other shots none in the last few years. One because he is like a house cat, he was pad trained when we got him, because he does have many allergies, he is rarely taken outside.
    Aside, from allergy, which include his ears, eyes, and skin, he has a tumor on his tail ,that he now chews on. And most recently, some sort of hard little growth on top of his tiny head. He also does the reverse sneezing thing which has become more noticeable here lately .
    He is still feisty, playful, eats well, moves around well, great hearing . We do not have $1300 dollars to have the tumor removed. The $310 he costs us last month almost made me cry. Until he is not in good shape anymore, we and him will just have to live with it. We will not let him suffer when the time comes., that would be inhumane.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Rabies shots are mandatory here and you will be fined if they catch you with a dog not vaccinated against rabies. In the Bush, it is required every year as rabies is endemic there among the wildlife, but here in the more "civilized" part of the state, it is only required every 5 years. All other vaccines are optional. Our old dog has been vaccinated against most things that show up here, but the last bout of vaccines nearly killed him. He didn't move for 5 days after the vaccines for distemper and parvo. I should have known better, but.... The vet gave him vaccines, then gave him steroids for a respiratory condition--a definite no-no. Here you must be certified to give rabies vaccinations, but other vaccines can be given by the animal owner. I used to be certified, but I am sure that has now expired.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

A lot of allergies and cancer is because of the garbage they put into animal food. Same with people. I have used a particular topical black salve on skin cancers on myself. But as it can be painful, not to be licked, I am not sure I would use it on an animals.