Pesky Gall Bladder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hoot Crawford, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Had my first gall bladder attack 5 years ago when I lived in Florida. Had a second one while on the Big Island. Had the final/last one a month or so ago when we were in Ohio. So, I had it removed today. It was really a piece of cake. We (my SO and I) went in at 5:30 am and we were home by 10:30 am. 4 little incisions in my abdomen, no stitches, and not having any pain.

If you are having problems with your gall bladder, please talk to you doctor about having it removed. I have dope slapped myself for putting it off for so long, and for risking making a small thing a big thing.

The entire process went very well. Staff was thorough and considerate. Kept Donna (my SO) informed during the process, etc. The only hitch, which was my fault, came in the post op room. I was still woozy from the pain killers they administered, and the nurse was doing such a good job that I suggest we get married! He was surprised of course, but graciously declined. Thank goodness.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hoot Crawford
    Today's surgical abilities amaze me. Two years ago, an appendicitis attack hit my wife. They diagnosed it accurately, took several scans, gave down to earth advice, which came from the Surgeon himself, in advance. He explained the antibiotics would likely solve the immediate problem, but recurrance was possible, along with the ever-dangerous rupture of the appendix. He recommended surgery to remove it, but was not "pushy".

I asked him how certain he was that theappendix was the cause. He thought that a pertinent question, took no offense to it at all, said 98% certain based on the scans, never 100% certain until he sees the inflammation.

Frank

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

About twelve years ago, I tried the Nutrisystem Diet. Combined with walking a couple of miles each day, I lost more than forty pounds in a month. Then suddenly one night, I started having abdominal pains. I don't remember the nature of the pain, but they rivaled the pain that I had when I had a strangulated hernia.

At first, the pains would subside after a few minutes, only to return a couple of hours later. Then they became more frequent. By the time, I went to the hospital, there were only a few minutes between the bouts of pain. I was told that this was unusual, that usually, gallbladder attacks occur every couple of hours, I think he said, and a common cause of gallbladder attacks was a sudden weight loss.

The surgery wasn't so bad. I slept through it, of course. I do have what looks like a zipper on my stomach, however, but most of that was done as a result of the strangulated hernia a few years before that.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    So, you had a gall bladder removal? Good it came out OK. Now, WTH are you doing posting at 2AM? Sleep heals, dont'cha know that?
    Frank

Hoot Crawford and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was twelve years ago. It's healed.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm so glad all went well @Hoot Crawford . As I told you before, I had my GB out about 5 years ago... I was kept in hospital overnight, but the procedure was pain free. I did however have quite a bit of pain for the following 2 weeks, so if you DO get that, it's normal, so don't panic, but not everyone gets it...

7. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning all - just following up on that little surgery. I've had very little pain, nothing that a couple of ibuprofen didn't handle, and was able to take a little walk yesterday and today (a mile each day). So far so good. I did tell my SO that sex was an option, but only if she did all the work. She laughed.