Parrots Save Themselves By Calling For Help

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, May 9, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, talk about some very smart birds. Usually Parrots only repeat what they have heard and yet these knew that the place was on fire. They also knew how to call for help, seems so unusual but apparently its the truth since there were no people around. This is trully is a story to prove just how smart animals can be, perhaps even smarter then we thought.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Could have been worse Diane . This parrot would have no doubt shouted something rude :)

4. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Some people have nothing better to do than complain.

5. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

Like Hannah, I thought parrots only mimicked what they'd heard. I'm surprised one would know what fire was even if it knew the word. Amazing!

I pet sit sometimes for a woman who used to keep quite a few birds. Several of her birds could talk somewhat, but one was really very good at saying things clearly. It started calling the dog the first time I ever went into that home alone and sent shivers up my spine. I was calling back to it after a bit, "Hello! Who's here? I've come to feed the animals."

I thought it was somebody and that they were afraid of me and that's why they were calling the dog. I felt like such a fool when I realized it was that bird.

6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I was under the same impression. Perhaps they'd had a fire in the past and learned it that way, or seen it on TV, I'm not sure, but I thought it was a neat story.

@Val White If they had shouted something rude, maybe others would have investigated sooner!

Richard Paradon and Allie Seay like this.