Parents Paying More Attention To Their Cell Phone Than The Kid

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Kitty Carmel, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Anyone that uses their phone whilst driving - is an idiot

Kitty Carmel and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive only used it thru blue tooth and I never text while driving. I always obey the law.

Also, my conversations are very brief when in the car. I never have to take my eyes off the road to answer a call, the button is on my steering wheel...the car came that way.

It will usually be my daughter asking where I am on the way to her house...I tell her and ask if there are any road closures I should know about and that's it.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry, Patsy, but you are probably calling a number of members, and friends of yours, in this forum "idiots".

Actually, even folks who use "Bluetooth" on their cells are still using their cells and can be distracted when driving. "Bluetooth" is better than holding it and driving, but the phone is still in use. Simply changing a radio station can be distracting as well. They have to take their eyes off of the road for a second to push buttons.

A lot of kids have an electronic game or in-vehicle DVD player for kids to watch.

Times just aren't the way they use to be. Just have to accept that, period.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My phone doesn't leave my purse in the car. It's as if I was talking to a passenger in the car....I don't have to take my eyes off the road for a second.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

absolutely agree.... there's no excuse for using a phone while driving. I have hands free in my car and even then I'll still pull in to the nearest safe place to make or take a call if necessary while stationary...

My daughter uses her hands free while driving as does my husband, and they don't think it's any more dangerous than talking to a passenger...and they may be right, but I wouldn't want to be distracted from the road...

I certainly never use my phone on it's own without the hands free in the Car..ever!!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

But, from what I know, this "hands-free" thing is basically for our age. None of the younger crowd seem to use that. Wife and I are constantly seeing the younger generation talking with a phone in their hand. This is one reason many don't use turn signals when turning, their right hand is on the steering wheel while their left hand has the cell phone in it at their ear.

As for us, we will use the Speakerphone feature and let the phone set in the middle space between the bucket seats. We don't have "Bluetooth" in our vehicle. Don't know what year that feature came out, but had to be after 2005, when we bought our vehicle. However, we can control our stereo on our steering wheel.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I would think talking to a passenger would be more dangerous than hands free talking....I have nowhere to look but straight ahead at the road whereas with a passenger I might glance at them while talking if they're in the car.

@Cody Fousnaugh ...I seldom see young people talking on their iPhone in cars...kids don't like talking..they prefer texting.

My daughter even has text or email read to her in her car...and she can do the same. Don't know what she uses though.

I'm a very safe driver and haven't had even a scrape since I got my first drivers license at 16. I would never do anything that was against the law or unsafe especially when I'm driving my grandsons.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, tell me this......
    While driving, and you get hot, do you pull over somewhere to turn on/adjust your A/C? Or, do it while driving?
    Same goes for the stereo, while driving.

There are just certain things people have to do while driving where they have to take their eyes off of the road for a second or more.

When they make vehicles that are completely "self-doing", except for actual driving, please let me know.

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter uses her hands free all the time, she lives in Spain...but she does the same when she's in the UK .. and so do so many youngsters here. The people I see the most with a phone in their hand glued to their ears are more middle-aged.

In this country there's a high penalty for using a phone while driving...

This ...
    You can get 6 penalty points and a £200 fine if you use a hand-held phone.

You can also be taken to court where you can:

If you passed your driving test in the last 2 years, you’ll lose your licence

It doesn't seem to be a deterrent tho'

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just like here in the U.S.......many, many people just don't care about road laws. They say, "I'll do what I want to. If I get caught, oh well."

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I see no problem with iPhones if you do it obeying the law and driving safely. What's the difference in talking out loud and singing along with a song on the radio?

People should just get used to dealing with technology because it's here to stay and that is the future.

In 10 years we probably won't even have some of the things we are used to now...land lines are becoming obsolete.
    So are newspapers...I bet cable TV will be gone also.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Very good points made.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I guess I'm an idiot then because I use my phone while driving sometimes; not often, but that's only because I don't make a lot of calls, and when I do, they are short. I wouldn't make a two-hour phone call while driving, and I certainly wouldn't text someone while driving, since I have a hard time doing that while sitting at my desk. But if I'm driving back from my land up north and want to check in with my wife about meeting me somewhere, I am not going to pull over. I don't use my phone in heavy traffic, and I define heavy traffic as being when there is another car within a quarter of a mile of me. I don't live in California or New York. I can drive two hours without seeing another car.

Not everyone can afford a car new enough to have Bluetooth capabilities. My 2002 Tracker doesn't even have automatic windows. Anyhow, I don't see making a phone call as being any more of a distraction than adjusting the radio, putting a CD in a CD player, using the temperature controls, or looking at your GPS device.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't know how accurate that is for all. All my grandsons are in the igen generation and all have iPhones and iPads but they do go out...a lot.

The oldest and the one that just started college has had a car since he was 16 and on weekends he was always out and about with friends ....during the day it was to the beach to surf.

At night, a party sometimes.

He doesn't smoke though but I'm sure he's had a drink or two.

None of his friends smoke. The campus at Cal Poly is totally smoke free...you can't even smoke in your car or apt or the street if it's part of the campus.

Even medical marijuana if prescribed is forbidden.