Organic Foods

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Amy Read, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Amy Read

Amy Read Veteran Member
    Registered

Nowadays are you using organic foods to your cooking?...What are the kinds of oraganic foods that you are eating right now? Do you think organic foods will really do wonders for our health?

Terry Page and Ruby Begonia like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

You have to do your research on organic foods, some are just rip offs and not really organic at all.

I do buy some organic but after eating non organic for many years, I really don't think it's going to change much in how long I'll live.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that the closer we can eat to naturally raised foods, the better they are for us. It makes sense to me that all of the chemicals that are spayed on the crops cannot be healthy for people to ingest into our bodies.
    On the other hand, the foods that are labeled organic usually cost a whole lot more than the same food that does not have the label; so when we have a food budget and can only spend so much money each week, then I think that it might be better to buy more fresh non-organic food, than to have a lesser amount of organic food, and have to eat more canned products to stay within budget.
    Growing our own veggies is probably the very best way to make sure that it is fresh and chemical free; but when people live in apartments or even homes with no gardening space, it is hard to grow your own veggies or fruit.
    I think that even when you just have a few vegetables in pots on our deck so you can pick your own tomatoes or cucumbers, then you are still saving money, and doing something that you can enjoy.

Terry Page and Ruby Begonia like this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I usually buy organic apples and some produce though we grow most of our vegetables and herbs.

I don't grow completely organic at home but I'm careful about what and when I use chemicals.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I always buy organic Milk, eggs, and bacon. I buy organic Veal and lamb and sausages from the farm shop where they raise and slaughter their own...

I also buy organic dark chocolate most of the time...

I also buy organic thin skinned fruit and veggies ( strawberries, grapes potatoes and tomatoes..( I don't eat apples)..but fruit with thick skins like bananas and avocados.. I opt for non organic and just buy 'fair trade' ...

That said I'm not overly pedantic about organic food ..I just try to be as careful as possible without getting my knickers in a twist over it.. if organic is not available..then I buy the next best thing!!

6. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't go out of my way to buy "organic'.

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We seldom buy organic foods because we think that it is only a label, meaning it is not organic at all. And that organic label gives it a higher selling price. And what good is organic food when tomorrow you will eat a hamburger from McDonald's that you do not know if it is organic or not. Maybe it is not yet the right time to switch to the so called organic food since the non-organic foods are the standard for now. Maybe when all food labelled organic are really organic then we will have a choice.

Ruby Begonia and Sheldon Scott like this.
  8. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Because of the higher price, I completely stay away from organic..

Besides, I saw a program on TV that said it was definitely NOT worth it because most of what is categorized as organic, really isn't.. Just another gimmick to make you spend more and the shop can get more for the same product.......

9. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't buy meat anymore but will buy organic veg occasionally if they are on offer, but I don't feel it makes much difference to my health, can't say I notice the difference in flavour either except maybe tomatoes.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My BIL, now 72, started eating all organic foods about 5 years ago and riding his bicycle more, unfortunately his health took a big spiral downward a couple of years ago. Heart problems galore and in-out of the hospital. Moved away from his wife and into a Nursing Home type apartment. Now he is back in the hospital with Crohn's disease and my wife's sister tells us that he doesn't look good at all.

A year ago, he was talking to us on our "speaker phone" and told us we needed to eat better and get more exercise. I immediately told him "and, (his name), what did that do for you?" He didn't like what I said and gave the phone back to his wife. His wife doesn't eat any organic food either......"yuk" she says. Anyway, I wasn't trying to be mean to him, but that was like telling someone what to do and it didn't work for them. That didn't go over very well with me.

11. Terry Page

Registered

I don't see the connection between eating organic food and your BIL's unfortunate poor health Cody. Organic food at worst contains less additives in the form of artificial fertilizers in vegetables and hormones and other chemicals that we pump into our non organic animals/meat. So it's less likely to cause any digestive problems than non organic.

I feel because of this fact, organic meat rather than vegetables would likely be a wiser choice, but then again not sure how much it will improve your health, as we seem to have become tolerant to a lot of these chemicals, plus of course organic meat is very expensive.

Exercise in moderation is advisable for us all, I feel.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I really don't know, but do know that before all of his heart problems he acquired, he was eating only organic foods and using his bicycle. Perhaps I just didn't like him tell wife and I that we need to eat better and exercise more. We already know that we don't eat the things we probably should or get enough exercise. Many people, like us, don't want to give up the pizza, burgers, fries, steak, beer or other things we really enjoy.

The way I look at it, a person in bad health shouldn't necessarily be telling people how they should eat and exercise.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  13. Terry Page

Registered

I guess he could still be eating unhealthily with organic food, you can still eat too much fat and follow a poor diet generally whether its organic or not, plus some people despite eating a very healthy diet get heart problems and die early.
    I alsp think maybe your BIL was just trying to be helpful Cody, people often become evangelical when they feel they have found an answer to one of life's problems.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have greatly reduced the amount of processed foods that I eat, and I try to eat organic as much as possible. Given that I do not live in or near a large city with stores specializing in organic foods, eating entirely organic would be difficult.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We had been talking the other day about processed food. Me and my sister suspected processed food to be the reason for the prevalence of hypertension cases. It seems that we in the Philippines cannot escape from processed food because it is already part of our culture. Aside from the imported corned beef and spam in cans, we have here the freshly made sausages and tocino (cured pork) and the tapa (cured beef) that are common viands for breakfast and other meals. In fact, our freezer has a pork sausage right now which serves as emergency food when we run out of fresh meat.

Ken Anderson likes this.