Online Support Groups For Certain Health Conditions -- Have You Joined Any?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

For the past 30 years I have found certain SUPPORT GROUPS extremely helpful for every one of the health problems that I have and still have to live with and with one problem in particular it led to the elimination of my ATRIAL FIB WHICH I no longer have. The very first was a PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT GROUP. Secondly was a NON HODGKINS LYMPHOMA SUPPORT GROUP specifically a very rare Lymphoma called WALDENSTROM'S. Within the past year I have joined a RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS SUPPORT GROUP & a HEARING LOSS SUPPORT GROUP with emphasis on COCHLEAR IMPLANTS.
    My Waldenstrom's has been in remission since 2007 and though not curable it's treatable. The same with the newly diagnosed RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS. It's not curable, but can and is being treated. The Hearing? Hopefully I can have this greatly improved in August.

For all you young ones that hope to make it at least to my age of 82 with out major health problems I wish you well and good luck but if you develop a health problem don't hesitate to seek out a support group.

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ren Tanner were these support groups instructional, or were they just for emotional support? Were the groups online, or were they attended locally. How did they help you specifically?:oops:

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm on a couple of online health support groups. I'm in one that discusses RA and other forums of arthritis and the other group discusses all kinds of health issues, including rotator cuff problems/surgeries. Since I've had two rotator cuff surgeries, one on each shoulder, I give suggestions/advice in that one.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

While I have not joined any online health support groups lately, I have read many posts on some of them and found what I read to be very informative in most cases. In the past when I was trying to understand the IBS and GERD I live with, I joined a health Forum for these problems and learned alot that helped me get these things under control and also found alot of support there too. For those of us who live with chronic conditions it is my opinion that a good Health Forum covering those chronic conditions can be a great source of knowledge and support.

Many times Medical Doctors will dismiss things we instinctively know about our health problems...but on health Forums when you see so many people saying and feeling the same things you are, it reassures you that you aren't just imaging things just because your Doctor may tell you that doesn't happen with so and so.

A long time ago I went to my Doctor because I was very uncomfortable with some of the menopausal symtoms I was experiencing. She was a young Doctor and basically told me these symtoms were all in my head. I was furious and told her that until she experienced menopause she had no right to say something like that! And I also told her that I had lived in my body for over 50 years and I could certainly tell when something was going on within it. Then I told her she could either be my partner in helping me take care of my body's needs, etc. or I would find a new Doctor. She ended up apologizing to me and told me she wanted to continue to be my Doctor...and from that day on I can honestly say our relationship was much improved as she saw me as not just a patient but as a woman like her that needed to be treated with respect. One of the Forums for menopause that I was a member of at that time had many of the same complains I did about their Doctors not listening to them and helping them. All of us had tried many of nature's remedies for our problems without success and turning to our Doctor's for help with this was a last resort. I am glad to say my standing up to my Doctor helped many on that Forum stand up to theirs too and get the help they needed....and some much needed respect too!

Health Forums can be wonderful for those with chronic conditions even if it's just for letting you know there are others going through the same thing you are.

Ina I. Wonder and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder - the online forums for specific conditions are good :)
    You would just google the ailment followed by forum

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Lon Tanner

Registered

They helped by sharing their particular treatments and how they felt after as well as where they were treated and the names of specific doctors. I was able to find, research and get appointments with two World Class Physicians dealing with specific conditions that I had developed. Dana Faber--MD Anderson--Cleveland Clinic--Stanford University. The support groups were helpful in leading me to research on my own and learn all I could about a condition. Emotional support was not something I was seeking. What I wanted was information to help in making decisions on treatment, drugs, clinics and doctors.

7. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thank you @Ren Tanner, an all of you for the input. My doctor has mentioned that I might benefit from a support group, but the groups all seem to be on the other side of the city, and that is a good 45 minutes away.

So I think I might surf a couple of online groups concerning my RA. I'll take all the helpful ideas I can get. It sure wouldn't hurt my feelings if others than my doctor have some good information on how to deal with the daily issues of RA. I might even save a few dollars as well.

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Registered

Try this site Ina

https://www.myrateam.com/activities

9. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thanks @Ren Tanner, for the link, I'll be taking a look. o_O