Online Shopping / Delivery

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Silvia Benoit, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

I shop at my local supermarket, ACME, online; I never had any problem with the items I bought but yes with the people who deliver them.
    Twice I had to put up with the delivery guy leaving the bags at the entrance of my building...and with their nasty attitude.
    I called ACME and the store refunded the delivery fee / tip but the extra pain I must endure (I bruised my ribs few days ago) has made me change all my plans for the week and, also, to make an appointment with my doctor.

I would hate to change supermarkets but I can't carry heavy weights.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

With few exceptions, everything I order online is from Amazon and delivered by UPS. Usually, there are no problems but once in a while, a new driver will leave a package on our back porch, where I won't see it until I see that it's been delivered and go looking for it. It's no big deal, though. Most people around here use their backdoors so that's probably right for the neighborhood.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Do they have a policy regarding delivering to apartments & condos?

That's a shabby way to do business.

4. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I own an apartment -2nd. floor / elevator- so there is no reason no to deliver my order right to my front door. The ACME's manager apologized and said they are trying to get Uber to do the job.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

You might try Instacart. They deliver from most stores, and have always been very friendly and efficient every time that we have used them for food delivery.

6. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I tried Instacart (ACME deals with them) but for some reason I can't get it to "talk" to my computer.

7. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Kroger food stores have started a food delivery service but I wonder how it works if you order refrigerated foods but are not home when delivered. Reading the fine print they do not guarantee delivery times. Also if they ring the bell are tips appropriate?

8. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Find a market that guarantees delivery times; ACME gives you dates / times choices.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

buena-park.jpg
    Admittedly, I'm not a logistics expert but something seems to have gone wrong here.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

"USPS." Need I say more.

11. John Brunner

I think the USPS databases are overwhelmed. I've seen the same thing...I doubt that my packages took the back & forth journeys that the system sometimes says they did. Anyway...I sure hope not.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. John Brunner

I'm on the Next Door site, and one of the people out here in my rural area claims that her mailman told her that he cannot deliver packages to her house because policy prevents him from backing out of driveways. This woman lives on a Dead End road...there is no traffic.

13. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The world of delivery is a strange world. I just ordered something delivered from Walmart for the first time in years. There were 4 items all the same. I got notice of delivery and they came Friday but there were only 3. So, I naturally wanted to report that I was charged for 4 but received 3. I couldn't do that because you have to wait 48 hours to report something is wrong. I guess they know what their service is like because sure enough, the missing one showed up yesterday with no notice at all. Maybe I'll just stick with Amazon.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

I once ordered a bunch of nightlights from Walmart. I found one that works as an emergency light that goes on when the power goes off. I knew they did not have the quantity I needed in the store, so I placed an online order.

I discovered 2 things:
    1-If you place an online order for something that is stocked in the store, Walmart hand-delivers it from the store.
    2-If they do not have the product or the quantities you ordered on hand, they unilaterally make a substitute. (I assume their system cannot handle a back order for Deliver-From Store orders.) So they get to close out the order in a single delivery, and it's up to you to decide if you want to keep the substitute or carry it back to the store.

I still order from Walmart, but I won't order stuff they carry in the store.

Don Alaska and Vada Bloom like this.
  15. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I forgot to mention that I do order groceries from Walmart and I pick them up at the store. That usually goes very well. They tend to have most things in stock and are good about notifying before I get there if they don't have something. Shipping seems to be a different world.

John Brunner likes this.