One of My Hobbies

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Peter Remington, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Peter Remington

Peter Remington Active Member
    Registered

2. Val Carey

Val Carey Member
    Registered

Now that is an impressive collection. Reeespect!
    What is amazing is that you appear to have a cat that doesn't bowl them all over off the shelves!:D

That must have taken years to gather together, well done.

I collected 1900s era crumb trays but I've downsized and have nowhere to show them off now. They all live in boxes, how sad.

Peter Remington likes this.
  3. Peter Remington

Registered

Actually, Val, I have FOUR cats who know better than to EVER touch the toys. There was some training involved here, to say the very least. I have been collecting for thirty years now and, at this point, it's gotten rather difficult to find a new item that I don't already have several versions of. It all started when my (now late) wife presented me with a Franklin Mint pewter Enterprise so that I (being legally blind) could get an idea of what the ship looked like. Much to her dismay, I think, I just went from there and never looked back. I kind of lifted the idea from favorite author Ray Bradbury who also crammed his house full of miniature rocket ships, robots and epic heroes. He always said that it inspired him to surround himself with his dreams and imaginative fancies and I most heartily concur.

4. Val Carey

Val Carey Member
    Registered

4 well behaved cats? Are they clones? Kidding, I've known some very cool cats who would have been mortified to be thought clumsy. enough to knock things over.

I love sci-fi stuff, not so much Marvel /Comic characters, never into that at all. My sci-fi collection consists of one, that is 1 only, Firefly (Serenity) keyring, but at least it's something.'geeky' right?. :)

5. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Active Member
    Registered

I've always been a collector too, but without ever really focusing on one interest. I always felt the urge to try to build a big collection of one specific type of thing, but could never make up my mind what interested me most. Sadly like Val I have a lot of my stuff packed a way in boxes.

I see you have a lot of Star Trek figures in you collection. I wish I could find some nice ones around here. I recently bought a figure of Sulu, but would love to be able to find Kirk and Spock. Hopefully I'll run into them one day.

6. Peter Remington

Registered

I have one word for you, Michelle...AMAZON! As enthusiastic a hunter as I always was, there were quite a number of the Star Trek figures that I couldn't find in the stores because everyone else on the planet was looking for them at the same time. And as any collector knows, having missing pieces in your collection is the stuff of which sleepless nights are made. Then, a year or so ago, I discovered that all those prior contenders for MY toys are now trying to resell them on Amazon--quite often at unbelievable throw-away prices. Yes, you'll occasionally pay an outrageous price for a piece you REALLY want, but that's because some of these guys know what couldn't be had in stores, twenty years ago, as well as I do. Good hunting!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Harrison Greenberg

Registered

4 cats? That's must've been some pretty intense training then. I've, too, been a collector a a number of years. I've been collecting comic books, such as the original marvel super heroes, I to today have no idea the worth of these comic books, but I can't seem to stop spending my money on these. My grand-children seem to love them.

8. Peter Remington

Registered

Hey Harrison! I also collect comic books--Golden and Silver Age, to be exact from around (and somewhat before) the time I read them as a kid. I have a very nearly complete collection of both DC and Marvel from the 40's, 50's and 60's. My particular favorite is Batman.

As to the cats, I am the official cat-rescue guy for my neighborhood and I can say that , of the dozens that have passed through here over the years, some have been more trouble than others. By and large, though, they like being in a warm, dry place with plenty of food and drink and appear fairly willing to avoid disopleasing 'dad'.

9. Harrison Greenberg

Registered

I loved reading Golden and Silver Age as a kid, I too started collecting Tin Tin and Astrix and they have been my favourite past-time comics.

That's sounds great that you're doing that for all the cats. I would really do the same for dogs but I really don't have the time and energy anymore as I used to.

10. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Active Member
    Registered

I wish it was that simple, but I live in South Africa and the shipping from sites like Amazon and eBay often costs more than the value of the item. In addition we have a very unreliable postal service, with the postal workers often going on strike for months on end. I suppose it just makes the hunt a bit more challenging, and that's probably a good thing because I've already collected a lot more different types of things than is good for me. Maybe if I sell off some of the excess, the things I really want will find me.

11. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Active Member
    Registered

Wow I have seen a few toy collections in my time but that one is the best one yet. So sad that after so many years you have just about anything you can imagine, I guess that takes some of the fun out of collecting. Now have you added on something new that you like? Like maybe Dr. Who or something?

I only have a few things I collect and I have to admit I am no where near displaying things as perfect as you do. I can imagine what dusting must be like. I have a collection of several advertising prints of different things. I started my career as a graphic artists long ago because I always felt that some of the designs on packages were just wonderful. Today not so much so, but older products had amazing detail. Last thing I got was a series of Godzilla movie posters in Japanese. Very nice, nice use of color and hand drawn. I have been working on finding 8 frames the same so I can hang them up. I especially like the advertising done by Leonetto Cappiello I am sure most people have seen the more popular pieces of his work. He is well known for doing alcohol related ad drawings.

12. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Well-Known Member
    Registered

I see you have a few of my favoirte, The Justice League, Star Trek and Spider Man. I know you had fun getting this together. I have one doll Mr. Spock from the last movie.

13. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I really enjoyed your video collection. I'm glad my grandson was here to see it too. He collects everything, of course Grandma helps too. He goes with me to the flea market sometimes and scouts all the toys. I told him he was well on his way to having a collection like yours. He just smiled.

14. Juan Ortega

Juan Ortega Member
    Registered

A hobby I have is the martial arts, in the cultivation of the mind and the human body. However, I also am as enthralled by collections. The dedication of people is moving and seeing the capabilities of the human body in mastery of hobbies is impressive,

15. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Active Member
    Registered

Wow that's a great hobby, very unique!
    Good luck with your future work on those.

16. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wow Peter, surely you do not clean everything by yourself. I can't imaging how you maintain such order. You must keep an inventory of your collection. How else do you remember where each piece was purchased, the correct titled name of each piece, how long you will need to hold it before the value matures, purchased price, present worth, and most of all for placement within your collection, mentally and physically.

17. Peter Remington

Registered

Oh, but I DO clean them all myself, Ina. I do a couple of shelves each and every day, in rotation and, that way, the whole collection gets washed once a month. I set up a folding work table in the middle of the room, clear off a shelf, carefully placing the toys on the table in the same order they were on that shelf, wipe down the now empty shelf itself, then wash each toy with a damp cloth and q-tips if needed, finally replacing them on the clean shelf in the same order in which they came off. In case of accident in which multiple toys are disarranged, I have large photos of each group within the collection so that any segment can be easily reassembled as before. Obviously, I work around the room from the uppermost shelves down to the floor level ones. The highest must be reached on a ladder and this is becoming more difficult and dangerous for me all the time. At some point I will simply be forced to allow the way up high stuff to begin to accumulate grit ... but NOT today!

I keep a computerized, cross referenced log of each collectible with date of purchase, original price, current price (which I can always look up in my reference books or online) and position within each sub set. Sub sets are displayed according to type of toy (doll, action figure, one-mold, mini-mate, etc.), then subject of toy (Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel or DC Superheroes, Universal Monsters, etc.) with a view to keeping everything easily visible while packing as much into a given space as possible--for example, placing a row of 5" Star Trek action figures, arranged first by series and then by popularity of the character, just in front of a row of similarly laid out 9" Star Trek dolls, thus doubling the use of the shelf space.

Needless to say, everything is fully insured against theft, fire or flood damage or freak tornado / earthquake, costing me more each year than it does to insure the combined total of my property including my house and everything else in it!

Toy collecting is NOT for the faint of heart!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  18. John Donovan

John Donovan Active Member
    Registered

I don't know what's more impressive: your huge action figure collection, or the discipline of your cats! Haha.

I see that you are really big on superhero toys and collectibles, especially Marvel ones. I have to ask you: do you also collect comic books? I used to collect them until my wife got mad at me for spending money on "children's books" and she gave them away to some children in the neighborhood. I'm not that mad, though, because at least now other people have the chance of reading them, but I had some really rare issues in there.

At least I can read comics online nowadays. :D

19. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Active Member
    Registered

Wow, this is quite a collection you have here. I would love to be able to see it in person. I bet the video doesn't begin to do it justice. Its impressive how well kept it is and that the cats don't knock it over. Sorry, being a cat owner like others I just had to add that part.

20. Peter Remington

Registered

Yes, John, as with the toys, I've collected comic books all my life. I specialize in golden and silver age reprints, such as those contained in the DC Archives and the Marvel Masterworks series', of which I'm proud to own complete sets! I also grab up every collected edition and graphic novel that comes along and I'm currently working on downloading the complete set of Batman comics from 1939 through 2011 from Comixology online. I recently had to add a large room to my house in order to be able to keep storing this stuff. (This is not even to mention the thousands of sci-fi novels I've accumulated and read over the decades. You can see them peeking out from behind the toys.)

My late wife used to exclaim in horror over the amount of money I've sunk into my little hobby, but every time she did, I'd just completely restock her sewing room for her. I'm really not sure who was playing whom, here.

John Donovan likes this.
  21. Peter Remington

Registered

You're right, Hannah, the slideshow really doesn't quite encompass the scope of the thing. As to the cats, I used to have eight of them and, I have to admit, we had some accidents once in a while. Now, I'm down to just two who've been with me for twenty years and they KNOW by now that they must behave. I frequently hear them whispering about it ... "Yeah, Dad just goes CRAZY if you touch his toys!" ... "I know, but I REALLY want to chew up that talking Darth Vader! If only it wasn't up so high!"

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  22. John Donovan

John Donovan Active Member
    Registered

Given that you said you liked the Silver Age, here is a website from which you can get over 26 thousand Silver Age comic books for free (just need to make an account): http://comicbookplus.com/

I found that it was a blessing for me when I found myself spending too much on Comixology.

23. Peter Remington

Registered

Wow! Thanks, John. I'll head right over there!