One Hazard Of The Low Carb Diet

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sandy Wood, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

About a month ago I started a low carb diet with the idea of losing some extra weight. My change over was gradual and seemed to be working out. No ill effects and my jeans were getting looser. Then I had a unexpected development that made me do a complete reversal with little to no choice.

I developed a bad cold with severe headache and sore throat, cough and fever. Although, I tried at first to hold on to the low carb way of eating it became impossible to eat any high fat or protein meals. I had chicken and beef broth, plenty of water and tea and coffee, but my stomach needed the foods that I had stopped eating.

So I ended up sick for a week living on oatmeal w/ almond milk and dry toast and tea. I ate small amounts of banana and orange, and drank broth when my stomach allowed it. But I was not satisfied and finally had to add butter and jelly to my toast and baked potatoes with butter, and juice.

Without the increase in carbs I do not feel that I would have gotten better. And now I am unsure of going back on this type of eating pattern or to return to my low fat diet.

Has anyone here ever had to change from a diet plan do to illness that required a turn back to old eating ways in order to get over a unwell period in your life?? All comments welcome.

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Sandy Wood : Looking back, Sandy, my folks and friends were not tuned to specific food groups as we are today. We ate meat, bread, potatoes, butter, and sugar, more or less indiscriminately. Even so, I cannot relate that the incidence of diabetes, for example, or obesity, or "colds' and other common maladies, was affected by diet to any great degree.

But, I am old-fashioned, if you will. What my folks preached 50, 60 years ago, has stood the "test of time". And, I'm still "alive & kickin' at 74!

Frank

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been on Low Carb for many years.. I have had my share of slight colds, but it wasn't due to the low carb, it was due to me going to the mall and getting sick.. I continued the low carb even though I was ill for a few days because there wasn't anything high carb in the house.. If it isn't in the house, you can't eat it..
    One has nothing to do with the other ...
    Over time, I have lost just over 140 pounds on low carb.. Personally, I won't complain as it worked wonderfully for me..
    I have had a few major operations during this time as well and always maintained low carb as much as I can..
    Today, many years later, I am still on low carb but on a maintenance way of life.. I will NEVER go back to the weight I was...... NEVER !!!!!

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I tend to agree with Steve, I eat low carb most of the time. I seldom even get colds but when I catch one from a grandson changing my diet doesn't make any difference.

5. Steve North

Registered

Low carb isn't a diet....
    its a way of life....

Bonnie Thomas and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I agree Steve. It is for me. Not atkins low but no bad carbs.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I seldom get sick or have a cold; but when I do, carbs (especially sweet or starchy) is the first thing that I do not ever eat. Almost all of the "bugs" that we catch feed on sugar; so of course, that is what we crave at that time; but eating anything sweet or starchy is just feeding the illness, in my opinion.
    I will drink some iced juice or eat fruit if I am sick; but not a lot of it, and mostly just drink ice water, and take gobs of vitamin C, usually 1,000mg every four hours until I am feeling better.

I do eat chips and salsa, even though the chips are carbs; but not a lot of those, and the hot cayenne in the salsa just seems to fry any bad bugs in my system.
    I can see that if you were eating mostly meats and proteins while you were sick, that might not have worked well, @Sandy Wood . However, low carb doesn't mean that you have to live on proteins only, and many veggies are either low carb, or enough of a complex carb, that you can eat those with no problems.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I crave chicken soup and that isn't high carb. I don't eat mine with any noodles and never have.

9. Steve North

Registered

I agree Chrissy and Yvonne....
    I am a member of a "Low Carb" forum that not only gives support, but also advise and ideas..
    Not very many members there but that could be good for that type of forum..
    Here is the site if you want to check it out.. I go under the name of Steve..

http://www.lowcarbsite.com/

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, I'm familiar with that site. Have read it many times.

11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never had a weight problem being always around 150lbs but did try the Atkins diet in the late '90s with some friends and became ill, my metabolism just doesn't work on a low carb diet. I have tried restricting carbs since but never feel well, so instead tried the 5 small meals a day idea and the 5/2 fasting system. This worked because it removed hunger completely so I have to remember to eat now. I usually have one meal a day and Kefir top ups. My weight is stable and I eat a balance of protein and a wide variety of carbs
    I never have sugar or feel a craving for sweet things, but I guess we are all different, so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Sandy, and just recently. I am into a lot of physical activity these days, not just to lose weight (which I did lose 24 lbs) but to build my strength. I now dance to my own tunes at the gym I joined (they allow me to use the aerobics room anytime no one is using it for a class) and I do the weight machines. I also walk on a fairly regular basis, about 6 miles a shot. I love the way I feel now, but, I made the mistake of "not" getting enough proteins in my meals. I didn't even realize how much more I needed to eat, to keep up with my activities.

So I got sick, and was down for 3 days trying to gain, back my strength. I was weak and shakey from lack of a balanced food intake.

Our bodies do let us know when we are "off", we just need to listen when that happens, as you did. You knew what your body needed, it told you. I am glad to hear it. Too many folks think that eating less of something will help them lose weight. It can, but they have to realize it could be water-weight, lean muscle mass, or stored fat. A body needs good fuel in order to burn calories in a healthy manner.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have looked at that site before; but now, I am really skeptical about joining , for the obvious reasons.
    I have decided that I will at least read the forum for a while and decide whether I want to join or not.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, that's how I came upon that site in the first place....just clicking on some of the other sites at the bottom that they are associated with.

15. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Plus, if any product is being pushed, I watch out for that as well. I don't know the other site though Yvonne. I know the guy we both know has several sites, I've heard anyway;)

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.