On The Road Again

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw Mockingjay, Part 2 over Thanksgiving , it was pretty good.

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson , it is good that you have plans of being in your grandchildren's future. It will help them keep their connection with their mother's memory a bit longer and closer. They need that, to be able to remember and speak of their mother to someone else that loved her too. My granddaughter was nine when she lost her father, and she said I gave her the opportunity to speak of him after others thought she should try to forget it and move on. She did move on, but she was able to hold onto her memories as well.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is our granddaughter making fun of my wife, using her cane.

4. Ken Anderson

My wife and I are in Kennebunk, Maine. Although we haven't left the state, it's about a four hour drive from where we live. My wife has a problem with her computer and had an appointment with the Apple store in South Portland, which is near here, since it's still under warranty, and I'm having an occasional problem with mine. My computer is at the Apple store tonight while they do diagnostics on it, so I'm using my MacBook.

We just got a hotel room here for a couple of nights. They might have to order a part for her computer so we may have to come back again in a week or two.

Today, we had a snowstorm. Not a particularly horrid one, by Maine standards, but there was a fair amount of snow, visibility was low, and we learned that they don't do a very good job of clearing snow around here, particularly in the parking lots.

At one point, since we are in her car, my wife was driving, and she cut a corner too tight, running up on a snowbank or curb, which is hard to tell since it all looks the same when it's covered in snow. She damaged one of her two-week old studded snow tires, flattening it, so we had to spend four hours at a tire shop waiting for them to install a new one. Apparently, studded tires here don't come that way. They have to add the studs at the tire store, and that is what took the time, since actually putting it on the car only took about fifteen minutes. They were also very busy today.

The weather cleared up late this afternoon though, and it is supposed to be clear tomorrow as well. Hopefully, I'll have my iMac back in the morning, although I suppose I could live with my MacBook for a while if I had to.

We're hoping to return to Millinocket tomorrow sometime.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow @Ken Anderson , I can't imagine having to drive fours to get to a computer store, and I thought going 20 miles across town was a hassle. I bow to you, and will never complain again. I hope the two of you get to see a little entertainment of some sort after such a long winter trip. At least a good movie or a nice dinner at a nice restaurant.

Stay safe, and let us know the outcome of your trip.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

OOOh sounds like you've had a an interesting journey thus far ken...albeit a little bit frustrating...be safe in the snow...it's the the same here where I live in the rural shires 20 miles outside central London...they rarely clear the snow away, and it's difficult at times to know where the Kerb is...so be careful on your journey home, hope your respective computers get all sorted for you..

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Safe travels, Ken!

I have to have everything within 5 miles of me and thankfully I do. One of the positives of Fresno. Also no snow which I miss sometimes but not when driving.

8. Ken Anderson

We do have computer stores nearer to us but not an Apple store, and my wife's computer is still under warranty so she needed an Apple store. Since we were going anyhow, I decided to let them look at mine.

9. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Happy to see your trip to the DMV area was good. Hope you plan to visit again in July when it will be hot and humid and everything will be green and beautiful.

10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, your granddaughter is a little cutie. Watch out, she's going to be a great actress someday :D

Ina I. Wonder and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

I'm home. Unfortunately, I've got to drive back to South Portland and back tomorrow, which will be an eight-hour road trip, just counting the driving. My wife forgot her computer in the hotel room, somehow. I don't know how that happened but she has appointments tomorrow so it's left for me to do it. No hotels this time though, just there and back, unless I change my mind. I'll be brining my MacBook just in case.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Bummer. I guess the hotel can't send it overnight express without having to mortgage your homeā€¦.and I guess you called to make sure they're keeping it safe for you. Drive safely.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

I left here at 10:00 am and got back home at 6:00 pm, which wasn't bad considering that it alternated between snowing, sleeting, and raining the whole way. The speed limits were reduced from 75 mph to 45 mph but, along with everyone else on the road, I compromised at about 60 mph. and since it had cleared pretty much by the time I got to Bangor, I drove 75 mph the last 70 miles.

Lara Moss likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

We will be heading off to a timeshare in Virginia sometime tomorrow and will be gone for about a week and a half. Of course, I will have my MacBook with me and we're beyond the age where we're up to making a non-stop trip, so I'll be in the forum every day, just not as often as I have been. Once we get there, you'll see me almost as much as when I'm home because we don't really do much when we're on vacation. Thus, I will be sitting behind a different desk in a different state, but doing pretty much the same things that I'd do at home, except that we'll be eating out more often, and will probably make a trip to a Civil War site or somewhere. My brother and sister-in-law might stay with us for a few days, while we're there. If so, then I'll be away from the computer more often.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Enjoy your trip, Ken. I hope you feel up to it.