Oldest Thing In Your House / Apartment / Flat ?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Mari North, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson was talking in another thread about cleaning out the attic and finding "old treasures." Got me to wondering what the oldest thing is that all of you have in your house.

For me, it's a piece of the Pyramid of Djoser (step pyramid.) It was built around 2600 BC. No, it's not legal to just walk off with pieces of the Egyptian pyramids :eek: but I had a dear friend who worked for the State Department decades ago and the guard let him take a few pieces with him. (Well, "smiled and turned his head" is more like it.) :)

What about the rest of you?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm probably the oldest thing in my house. Other than myself I have some Hungarian antiques, but nothing older than 150 yrs.

Cool to have a piece of the Pyramid, Mari.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Nothing really old in this house...I don't have antiques..or relics, or old skeletons (except in my closet) :D but when we moved into this house 36 years ago, the previous owners had left an old cylinder vacuum cleaner..we think it's from the 1930's...god alone knows why we decided to keep it, but we did, and it's still up there in a corner of the loft...

Ruby Begonia and Mari North like this.
  4. Mari North

Registered

Hungarian antiques... that sounds great, Chrissy! 150 years is pretty old for sure!

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Mari North

Registered

:) In your closet! That was very funny, Holly! I guess we all have some of those... sometimes better left in the closet, eh?! Or in the corner of a loft. :D

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Oldest thing in my house is me also. :D ... I never collected antiques, etc..

Previously, had some old books from the 1800's that belonged to my husband's family, and pocket watches and coins that were his grandfathers. ... they've all been passed on to our son.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe my grandparents things are the oldest things we have in our home. You can get money for selling your things is true, but it depends if you find the right buyer for your valuables or little treasures. I found a site called bonanza.com that's BBB accredited for selling that is easier than e-bay and cheaper than e-bay. I'm wondering about trying to sell my things there or locally. I have some concerns with selling my grandparents and Mom's ceramic things online about shipping ceramics and will try to sell them to a picker we have on island. I like making money from the things we had for it's like getting money you didn't know you have. People have said they can make a living selling on e-bay, but it's getting expensive to do so. There's also a commercial I saw from the USPS, stamps.com to get your packages mailed without leaving your home too. I got some things for sale that I've contacted some buyers locally too like my grandmother's painting from a POW from WWII. Trouble is we got no car, so they got to come to our home like American Pickers do. We are trying to sell almost everything we have to get the money so we can enjoy now. We are both Senior Citizen already, so we's like to be able to have most everything sold as soon as possible. Good luck in selling your things.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I have a collection of Old West tv show pictures (framed), I thought it would be cool to add a Frontier Colt 45 Replica Pistol. It doesn't shoot real ammo, but everything works on it. It's just like the gunfighters and Lawmen used in the Old West. Very cool to hold.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have some coins from the late 1700s.

11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

My log cabin is from 1870, and It is has several old antiques that I ended up with because everyone on both sides of my family wanted modern furniture and things. We were so poor that I gladly took the leftovers, refurbished them, and now they are spotlight pieces in my home. Now the pieces that were given to me or I pulled from the trash are very envied by those same people.

As modern things just look out of place here, I don't spend much in the way of decorations, I generally make what I need,

12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, it's like looking at a treasure trove with this thread. That coins in the 1700 would fetch a good price in ebay. I am speechless with that pre-historic pyramid item, huh. Even the log cabin of 1870 is older than my grandfather.

I don't see anything old in our house except maybe me and my husband. Even old pictures are very few, that of my parents when I wasn't born yet. Perhaps some of our coin collection can pass for antiquity test although they are dated 1901 and earlier.

13. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

As others have said the oldest thing is me, though come to think of it there are some old photo's of my grandparents in the loft, which would be about 100 years old.
    The one is of my grandfather (fathers side) in a photo with my grandmother and her children, which is an early example of photoshop as he died in WW1 before the last child was born.

14. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I have one or two old books that pre-date me. My favourite is a dictionary from 1913, which is notable for the words that it doesn't include as much for the ones it does.

15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

When we bought our house the previous owners left behind an AMC upright freezer. I tried to google it online to see just how old it is but have been unsuccessful so far. I use it now because our chest freezer was ruined when the basement was flooded by a city water main break. The water came up through the floor drain. We now use it.