Okay, So I'll Need To Ask You Guys For Opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Janice Martin, Jul 7, 2017.

1. I've been trying to 'get rolling' with this for a few months, not getting anywhere with it, so am popping in here to ask opinions- there is something I want to do, actually been trying to get to it for a few years:

One of the most negative/destructive messages I was brought up with was that I must never have or do anything 'for myself' that does not in some way benefit 'others.' It was extreme enough to even include gifts (birthday/Christmas presents)- if a gift didn't benefit others in the household, I was allegedly selfish or foolish to want it. I've also noticed when you're given that message from a parent, you often find other people later in life who take the same approach.

Here goes: the only obligation I have on my time is my job- self-employed does not mean unlimited free time, but it wouldn't be too difficult to juggle my work schedule around to have a free hour or two here and there.
    The subject: many years ago, I wrote a novel; the fact that it was accepted by a well-known agent would seem to show it wasn't junk. I lost the manuscript long ago, but want to rewrite it.
    Problem: fiction rarely sells unless the person is already well-known; I also don't know many people who'd be interested in reading it; so what it comes down to is wanting to do something 'for myself' simply because it's important to me. I'm sure if most people knew about this, I'd be hearing it's selfish and foolish to consider it, and that if I could find a free hour or two I should spend that time doing something that'd benefit others instead.

Opinions?

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course you should do it - how can you go through life 'never' considering yourself
    We all do our share for others and at times need to do something just for us
    Don't waste another second it will only lead to regret
    As for novels not selling by unknown writers, that's not true - everyone was unknown at some stage :)

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

You don't have to be a well known author nowadays to write a book...and have it on Amazon or other sites.

I don't know the details but a few people that I've come across on forums have books...our own @Tom Locke had one that did well I think.

Go for it! If I had talent I would and I don't consider writing a book selfish...it's a talent. It also benefits people that will read it...even if it's just for enjoyment.

Can you tell us what the book is about?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You have to be a well-known author (or lucky and very talented) in order to get into major bookstores because they allot only so much space for a particular genre. However, most people don't buy books from bookstores any more, and there are several options for publishing and distribution. I'd say go for it.

Tim Burr and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin ...you go girl...do it....you have nothing to lose! Flip off ....anyone who does not support you:D

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Absolutely...........go for it!!

My wife has written two Prayer Books. She does the printing, cutting/sizing and I do the binding. Have sold a couple, but Prayer Books aren't necessarily "in-demand" and we know that. She has a Facebook page for them. She has another Prayer Book "in progress".

So, by all means, do it!

Tim Burr likes this.
  7. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin ,Everyone has given you excellent advice, so start writing.

But, I do know how hard it is to let go of many such ideas, especially if our elders used them to instill their insecurities into us. Many times what they meant as instructional only produces shame and/or guilt in the child, and therefore the adults we become. I also know that although we can see the wrongness of this, many times that does not remove the feelings we were taught.

So you must build another scenario that you can believe in, one that you know to be the correct one for you. Then each time that old destructive idea/feeling get's the better of you, just slide the right one in place.

It always helped me to ask myself what I would want my children to believe.

Tim Burr likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Go for it. There would be no books if nobody took the time and effort to write them.

Ina I. Wonder and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

It wouldn't be selfish. You could write something that would give many people hours of enjoyment.

That was some twisted though process that got pounded into you. I think some people may not realize that what happens to a child will affect them for the rest of their life. Some things can't be changed, most unfortunately.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.