Odds And Ends

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Faye Fox, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was a biker chick. :p My first husband was into motorcycles and still has a Harley. I had a motorcycle operator's license for many years but finally let it lapse.

Faye Fox, Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

NOOOOOOOooooo.......!!!!!

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It's hot enough to melt your underpants in Houston. So that "slide" is really a long one.

Faye Fox, Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I never doubted it for one second! :D I know a sister biker chick when I see one hahaha. :p Your sense of humor and potty mouth was a dead give away and then the boots confirmed it.

Although I started riding motorcycles on the ranch at a very young age, I didn't ride a Harley until I was married and did briefly play the biker chick part of dressing in leathers, hanging on to his waist, and at rallies going around in minimal coverage shorts and crop tops. I still have my crop full zip front light summer jacket. It has been in the donation box for a couple of years. I take it out before donating and put it in a fresh box. One day I will let it go I suppose. It has the local club name from where we lived, embroidered on it.

I never did the back tattoo thing, but there is still time for that. I know a young lady that wants to do one on me. I may just give in and go for the tramp stamp. :D

I always took "his" Hog to work the summer I did the radio station studio and remote mountain top transmitter engineering. It was a blast to drive up the road to the transmitter.

After I became pregnant, he sold it as he knew that was the only way he could keep me off it, so after that I was back to my old Mercedes that I bought, rebuilt, and maintained myself. I never let him drive it. He was too impatient to learn the technique of the 4 speed on the column. :mad:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We never did the "biker gang" schtick; no clubs. Never wore leathers or had tatoos; just jeans and good boots. We just loved to ride and had a succession of Japanese bikes since we couldn't afford a Harley for several years. He didn't get his Harley(s) until after we divorced.

Faye Fox and Mary Stetler like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

We only joined a club because they did a lot of community service things like bringing meals to seniors, toys for tots, and necessaries to victims of house fires. He went alone when the roads were slick. :D It was a Christian based club, so not to much stereotypical biker antics going on. :D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I was feeling good when I got up this morning. I did my patio Tai Chi and strengthening workout with poise and power. I was surprised that I was only moderately sore, after 6 hours in the yard yesterday, doing jobs a bit harsh even for chain gangs. :D

I was really pumped, especially when the sun came up and it was warm and no wind. After finishing my breakfast and making a couple of post on SOC, carefully avoiding any topics that might be a buzz kill, I got up from my chair. I felt my back go and shuffling into the mirror, I saw an old lady that had a spine curve that looked like a C. Lateral shift!

After applying anti inflammatory gel, taking an ibuprofen and a couple of Tylenol, I did my PT for lateral shift. I got it worked out enough to go grocery shopping where my bank account was decreased by $180. I told the clerk that would have been $90 three years ago. She said yes, prices have doubled but it wasn't her fault and winked. I smiled and gave her the thumbs up. I guess if her boss heard her she couldn't be disciplined for violating their no politics rule. Moderately veiled politics, I guess. :D

Anyway, despite my earlier youthful attitude and model style sashaying being brought to an abrupt halt, I still plan to walk. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My morning workout went well since I took special precaution to avoid any positions that would aggravate my back that is just sore today. I have made a mental note to not sit more than 15 minutes without getting up.

My tomatoes sure look amazing in the morning light. So far I am well pleased with my patio garden.

I have finally come to senses. I hired a couple of young men that run a yard care company to do all the edging and mowing. I will still do the blowing and trimming in my flower beds as well as make sure the illegal dog poo is catapulted out of the lawn before they mow. I was shocked how reasonable priced they are since they do the best work. They are citizens, born and raised in the area, so they don't require payment in cash.

So far this morning, my attitude is bright despite spilling my coffee and then spilling my hot chocolate. Towels were soaked and words were uttered, but all is well. I had plans to play guitar this morning but once again I found my undisciplined self, messing with photos and posting on SOC.

Here what my art program says how Van Gogh would paint me this morning.

Vangogh.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

Note of caution. When feeling particularly good, Don't believe it.
    I mentioned before that I felt good and didn't know why. I was working on the mound pulling thistles, hauling a watering hose which covers about an acre, cleaning barn...
    I bragged to a friend how much work I had done! Hadn't in a long time, straight through. For two days!
    Today, I can't walk. I did the dishes but had my daughter haul the watering jugs for the animals out to the car for me...
    If my back ever went out, I would be in a chair!
    I don't know what I do that makes me feel good, if anything. but wish I could put it in a bottle.

Yvonne Smith, Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sometimes when you feel good, it makes you want to do more than you should and you suffer for it. Sorry @Mary Stetler .

Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Feeling good, at my current age, is what gets me into trouble. Whether around my place overdoing jobs or playing on the internet, I can't seem to avoid trouble. Whether buying clothes on Poshmark, best left to the young ladies, or posting here on SOC, trouble follows me like a stray cat. I wish Zek was alive to keep me in line. :)

OK, now out to measure for gutter guards. The aluminum ones I had before, had too small of holes, got clogged, and defeated the reason for gutters. I had to yank and send them to recycling. These plastic ones with bigger holes are recommended by a neighbor. If they work out, then no more getting on the roof, a practice I was told to stop 20 years ago due to vestibular malfunction. I think I have pushed my luck far enough. If they don't work out, then I will have the gutters pulled.

I would sell this banana ranch, but finding anything that I would be happy with is impossible, plus with interest rates high and all the moving cost, etc., I would come out way behind financially. I will rethink finding a smaller place after 2024, if the gestapo don't take complete control.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yea for girl power, howbeit old and worn out.
    They had to be cut for width. Not as easy as it looks.
    My dads old tin shears are still good as new and they
    are older than I am.
    Roof muscle 250 lg.jpg FF ladder 250 st.jpg gutter 3.jpg FF gut ts 2.jpg

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Is that you, Faye? Good job!

I have a pair of tin snips just like that. My mother got them when she worked at Goodyear Aircraft during the war. The spring popped out and I never could find another one to fit right. :(

Faye Fox likes this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep, it is me. Maybe you could make a spring from an old bandsaw blade. The thing is that you cannot buy snips or shears these days with that quality of cutting edge.

Nancy Hart and Mary Stetler like this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Registered

I put something like those in my gutters. I left about 6 inches at the end with the downspout because every so often a little bit of stuff washes down that away. But it is cleaning every five or seven years instead of twice a year. And I stuck a light bulb shaped trap in the downspout.
    Next time someone else is gonna do it for me.:oops:

Faye Fox likes this.