No Bra Day Oct 13

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Faye Fox, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I am so disappointed in myself for missing no bra day yesterday. While I only wore a bra for my morning workout, I still feel non-compliant and a disappointment to the "free the breast" movement. No bra day was once on July 9, but was moved to Oct 13 to coincide with National Breast Cancer awareness day.

For those that don't know, breast cancer awareness day is observed especially for those that had metastatic breast cancer and have undergone radical breast removal.

I am marking August 26, "Go Topless Day, on my new 2024 calendrer and plan to participate. I will probably stay in the privacy of my house, but who knows? Also I am marking Oct. 13 "Go Braless Day" for next year and plan to fully participate, unshackling myself from the binds of my nylon/spandex sports bra for my morning workout.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When we lived in Loveland, Colorado, a young girl and her boyfriend were standing at a corner of a main thoroughfare and she had no top/bra on at all, holding a sign that read "Free The Nipples". Both were arrested by local P.D.. After they got out of jail, they done it again, and again, they were both arrested. I was told the boyfriend had a warrant out the first time he was arrested with her. Don't know why he was arrested the second time. But, both were. After that, they never done it again.

To us, this "Free The Nipple" thing is ridiculous, but that is our opinion. There are "indecent exposure laws".

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder where it started that woman's breast should not be exposed, that it's indecent.
    Photos and paintings as far back as I can recall women's breasts are always covered, except maybe for artsy paintings.
    Yet tribes in South America and Africa women's breast s are exposed and it's part of their Norm.
    I am Just curious.

Thomas Windom and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There is a law enforcement law/laws that state about "indecent exposure" in public and is very much enforced.

Tony Page likes this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I know there are laws.
    What I'm wondering is Way back How did it start or evolve? It's not something that was followed universally.

Thomas Windom and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Don't know where/when or who started it, but in the movie about the Woodstock Music Festival, there were young people, totally nude, taking a bath in a small pond on the farmers property.

For whatever reasons, there are some ladies that want to go topless. They say, "if men can show off their chest, why can't we?" Then again, there are nudist colonies and nude beaches to do that, but to walk thru Central Park or Beverly Hills topless seems really odd. Parents of small/young children don't want them seeing that anywhere!

Tony Page likes this.
  7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with what you're saying, because that's our normal, however if you went back to the cave man I doubt cave woman wore tops that was their normal. If we evolve from that somewhere someone had to say put a top on.
    It was just a stupid curious thought I had, sometimes how things evolve intrigue me.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  8. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’ve often wondered about that too. It seems a bit arbitrary to me really. Here’s an interesting article on the subject. My Danish girlfriend I dated for a while back in the 70-80s, thought U.S. women were kind of prudish about it. She said in Denmark, if they were out in a square and the sun came out bright, off came the tops for some impromptu sunbathing. She said it just wasn’t that big of a thing. Given the large numbers of immigrants from some countries that have now arrived in Europe, who take a very dim view of female exposure, I imagine that situation maybe has changed.

https://history.stackexchange.com/q...licly-uncovered-in-any-culture-without-genera

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My mother was British (WW2 bride), and her family would send packages from home. In addition to the candy bars, they would include copes of The Mirror and The Sun. It's had to describe these newspaper-quality periodicals. One of them was sort of bound like an oversized magazine, easily 16" tall by 12" wide. These were full of regular news (not The Enquirer type stuff) and they had a centerfold called Tit Bits that featured a topless woman. It cross my life in the early 60s. It was no big deal.

I was gonna conjecture that part of the prurient attitudes might be religious in nature (Adam and Eve suddenly becoming aware of their nudity), but England was hardly secular back then. Perhaps it started with married women covering up, similar to how Amish women only wear black once they get married. Maybe it's just a "disrupt normal" and "inject shame" thing being imposed on us.

Tony Page likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Laws are being enforced less and less, or at least selectively today.
    My daughter was breast feeding her son in her car while waiting for her daughter to get out of school.(20 years ago) Someone turned her in for inappropriate behavior. This was in VT.
    ???
    Me? I wear clothes and a bra so I don't trip.:rolleyes:

11. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A "No Bra Day" is OK with me, for a couple of reasons.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Who comes up with this crap?

Faye Fox, Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have never worn a bra, so I am all for it!

Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Men

Von Jones and Mary Stetler like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I hope I didn't inadvertently wear a bra on October 13. I try to keep up with this stuff, but sometimes I just let people down.