New Year's Resolutions

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Chrissy Cross, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha, I'm sure I'll say something to make you all cringe at some point :)

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is my first actual read of this thread, and it turns out that @Bobby Cole and I were on the same page (in our thinking) with the new resolutions for this year. (What we want to do better as oppposed to stopping something)
    I want to take better care of my health this year, and learn new ways to do that , besides what I have already been doing.
    I have been listening to self-improvement apps when I go to bed at night, some are for attitude, and some are for healing, losing weight, stuff like that.
    I have found a new youtube channel called “Vortex Success” and it is subliminal messages combined with binaural beats, and each one lasts for about an hour.
    I set up the stereo in the front room so I do not always have to use headphones, and when I am reading here on the forum, or just knitting something, I have one of these playing in the background.
    One of the ones that I have been playing is to help attract more money (obviously SS is not going to help with that one), and yesterday I had a person who saw my craigslist ad email me and ask if I can make crocheted angels.
    I have never tried this, and I am not sure how much it would pay; but she says she uses them all year long and it would add a little extra cash in my pocket.
    So, maybe the money-motivational thing is working.........who knows ?

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'd love to see a pic of the crotchet angel if you ever make one @Yvonne Smith. Doesn't sound too easy especially for me ..my skill level is very basic.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Good for all of you. I hope you achieve what you attempt.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

No resolutions really but I want to eat better. Fewer chips. Walk some but I have a fear of walking in public and it seems the gym just never works out for me and I don't want to spend the money again for something I don't really end up using. I hope to find a mobile in a park and that will be a safe place to walk.

I'm looking at some simple recipes online. I also want to spend less on food. I'll make a trip to Winco Foods next week due to their good prices. Can't go today, too many people spending their checks in that place around the first.

I'm trying to go part time yet again at work. I got just the schedule I wanted this month. I hope it holds going forward. I can't take the physical and mental demands of my job anymore or some of the people I have to work with. I hope to have more time to cook. Something I really don't like to do all that much.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I am too far from a mall for it to work for me, but a lot of people use enclosed shopping malls for walking, which is particularly helpful in the North, where it's too cold to go walking in the winter. The malls around here even advertise themselves for that purpose, anything to get someone to the mall, I'm sure.

A few years ago, I thought I would try bicycling. My wife and I both bought bicycles but, for one thing, you can only bike in Maine for a few months out of the year. For another, there's no good place to do it. Very few of our roads have paved shoulders, and most people look at any adult on a bicycle as if there's something wrong with them.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith , here are some pictures of my crocheted angel tree topper. At least, I think she is crocheted. I use a Styrofoam cup as her underskirt. I have some small ones that are tree ornaments.
    Front:

angel 1.jpg

Back

angel 2.jpg

angel 3.jpg

angel 4.jpg

angel 5.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson Thank you for the mall suggestion. My fear of being out in public like that extends even to the mall. I'm not a mall person. Years ago when I went with friends that was fine. I always have this feeling someone will bother me or say something to me.

If I go to the mall area, it's just to get a hair cut or I may go to Penny's but I don't walk the mall at all.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

If I lived near a mall, I might walk it. Unfortunately, the Tractor Store in Millinocket isn't big enough to give me a lot of exercise.

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Unless of course you started "bench pressing" the tractors! :)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It is December, so do you think that it is too early to talk about the New Years resolutions for 2019 already ? I have actually been thinking ahead to what I would like to accomplish with my life for next year, and actually, it is pretty much the same things as I want to do each year. Maybe if I just keep trying, I will make it someday, but at least it keeps me focused in the right direction better than if I don’t think about what I want to be doing.
    I have been remiss in my listening to tapes at night, so I am starting back with doing the lose weight ones again, and following my eating plan better, which has been kind of out of focus lately, too.
    I discovered that Amazon Prime videos has subliminal videos, so I have been trying out some of those to see which ones I like, and I found a headband with speakers inside, which is much more comfortable than using headphones or earbuds, and is also a night mask over my eyes,
    It seems to really help me sleep better, too.

I am also thinking about becoming a foster “mother”........but for dogs, not kids. I miss my Chipper so much, but I know that no other dog could ever replace him, and still I miss having a little dog. There are so many that are on the lost/abandoned dogs group on facebook, or just older ones that take longer to be adopted and don’t do well in a shelter environment, so the shelter tries to place them in foster homes until they find someone who wants to adopt. I think that Chipper would like me to help rescue dogs that needed help.
    And if I did find one that I wanted to keep, then I would be able to adopt it, since I would already be fostering the dog.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I haven't though about resolutions yet...I have been making changes in my life for the better these last few months
    So I'll just continue on that path.

Since my appetite has returned...losing a few lbs may be on the list, lol.

Why oh why can't I bottle that feeling I get in my stomach when I'm in panic mode and can't eat? Just kidding, it's a terrible feeling. :(

@Yvonne Smith ...I think fostering a dog is a GREAT idea.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

My resolution in 2018 was to get rid of 18 things or 18 bags and boxes of things, I've still got three to go by the end of the year!

I think I will up the ante and go for 19 in 2019!

My goal has been to reduce my possessions enough to empty one room by the time I'm 65 and 2019 will be the year to finish that up.

Then I can start looking for a smaller senior-friendly apartment.

[​IMG]

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That has been my goal for a long time @Beatrice Taylor.

I have made a small dent in my clothes recently but it's all so overwhelming. My house is big enough that you don't see all the stuff but it's all there stuffed in closets in rooms that I never use.

And my kitchen cabinets...ugh!

I don't even cook and I have 3 different sets of dishes :(

Now I'm depressed, lol.

Bobby Cole likes this.